PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Hard to tell in this picture, but the salt vodka bath really works.

View attachment 66855

Now it is all packed with damp coffee grounds and I will leave it for a few days. That should extract any ghosts or smells from the pipe.

View attachment 66856

I'm going to tackle the stem today, and I'd like to try out the paper towel and lighter method. @chasingembers is it just as simple as it sounds?
Yes, instead of Vodka you may also use iso (70%) and better drink the Vodka.
To get rid of ghost tobacco one can also fill the chamber with activated charcoal powder and then place the stummel (upright) in an oven at 320° F (160° C) for 1 hour. This method is very effective but make sure the stummel has no fills because they can drop out.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, instead of Vodka you may also use iso (70%) and better drink the Vodka.
To get rid of ghost tobacco one can also fill the chamber with activated charcoal powder and then place the stummel (upright) in an oven at 320° F (160° C) for 1 hour. This method is very effective but make sure the stummel has no fills because they can drop out.
I'm more of a scotch man myself, but I suppose any alcohol would work.

As for the activated charcoal method, I like that idea. However I have coffee grounds lying around, the time, and as you mentioned pits and fills, we have no idea what is under that green paint!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Sorry to come in late on this thread, but every Grabow I've ever owned had a nylon stem. Putting a lighter to it could be a disaster, no?

Reactions: ofafeather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sorry to come in late on this thread, but every Grabow I've ever owned had a nylon stem. Putting a lighter to it could be a disaster, no?
All of mine from the 30s through 70s have had vulcanite.

Been trying this for a little while, but I'm getting more black than yellow oxidation.

@chasingembers I'm guessing my flame was too close?
Black is what you want as you're singeing the oxidized layer.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The paper towel is less abrasive and all the towel is used for is wiping away the singed layer.
Haven’t had much time to experiment with it and I think that the vulcanite was probably poor quality but while I was able to get the stem black I was fairly rough so I ended up micromeshing anyway. Need more time to experiment. Plus I put a slight bend into the stem. ?

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’m a sucker for green pipes. The Peterson Racing Green line was beautiful in my opinion. I have a green Peterson Spigot that’s almost to pretty to smoke. Even some of the St. Patrick’s Day pipes suckered me into buying. I do love those green pipes ?