PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I always forget to take "before" pictures before working on a pipe.
Interesting pipe. Seems that I remember you saying that you were going to collect these, or maybe I remember wrong? It's an interesting choice of pipes to collect. What draws you to these?
I had been looking for a green color duke for a while. I'm not sure if I will collect them, but you know how it goes with pipes.

What draws me to it? Hard to say. Its sort of attractive in the strange 1970s way.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I've always wondered about these. I have a paronelli colorific that has their enamel like coating. What exactly is the coating on these old grabows?

Reactions: ofafeather

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
I've always wondered about these. I have a paronelli colorific that has their enamel like coating. What exactly is the coating on these old grabows?

Paint.

There was a good thread on here a few years ago where a member stripped the paint of his and finished it, and it was a very nice piece of briar. It wasn't full of pits or fills like you'd expect.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Hard to tell in this picture, but the salt vodka bath really works.

P_20210219_073121.jpg

Now it is all packed with damp coffee grounds and I will leave it for a few days. That should extract any ghosts or smells from the pipe.

P_20210219_073632.jpg

I'm going to tackle the stem today, and I'd like to try out the paper towel and lighter method. @chasingembers is it just as simple as it sounds?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Holy crap, that’s some kind of oxidation on the stummel! Never seen the wood turn green before, usually just the stem. ?

Looking great, I bet that’s going to be a handsome pipe when it’s all cleaned up. Even better for all the waiting you did to finally acquire one! Can’t wait to see the results.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Hard to tell in this picture, but the salt vodka bath really works.

View attachment 66855

Now it is all packed with damp coffee grounds and I will leave it for a few days. That should extract any ghosts or smells from the pipe.

View attachment 66856

I'm going to tackle the stem today, and I'd like to try out the paper towel and lighter method. @chasingembers is it just as simple as it sounds?
Re: The Paper Towell and Lighter Method

I’ll be watching for Embers Answer

My ears perked only because in the “black boot” Army from wence I came, I took a lighter to my boots to melt wax to a spit polish. Am keen to believe this could bring a stem to shiny black or as easily destroy one.

I’ll eagerly wait....

Summoning Chasingembers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014