PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Slow puffer

Lurker
Jul 22, 2021
Sorry to say but haven't done a good job of keeping the shanks clean of my pipes. I always run a pipe cleaner thru after each smoke but cleaning the shank is another story. I don't drink alcohol but found apple cider vinegar works very well. I went thru a full pack of cleaners dipping in the vinegar and scrubbing. Some of them had built up a cake in the shank as to where a Dill cleaner would barely pass through. There may be a better method but this worked for me. Hopefully I'll be more attentive in the future.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry to say but haven't done a good job of keeping the shanks clean of my pipes. I always run a pipe cleaner thru after each smoke but cleaning the shank is another story. I don't drink alcohol but found apple cider vinegar works very well. I went thru a full pack of cleaners dipping in the vinegar and scrubbing. Some of them had built up a cake in the shank as to where a Dill cleaner would barely pass through. There may be a better method but this worked for me. Hopefully I'll be more attentive in the future.
That's a new one on me. If you're happy with the result, that's what matters.

Mar 1, 2014
Buy Isopropyl Alcohol. Cheap and effective.
Vinegar is acidic and may not be the best for the Briar, whereas Isopropyl alcohol is flavorless and evaporates quickly, and alcohol works very well for absorbing residual oils.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It depends on how anal you are about the cleaning process :)
Brushes, as suggested by @ray47.
A strong torch helps
If there is a lot of "concreted" gunk, using drill bits (manually !) or a set of small jewellers' screwdrivers will save you a lot of time, pipecleaners and alcohol.
After I loosen the gunk, I use brushes while flushing with hot water.
Then finish with alcohol-soaked cleaners and q-tips.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Buy Isopropyl Alcohol. Cheap and effective.
Vinegar is acidic and may not be the best for the Briar, whereas Isopropyl alcohol is flavorless and evaporates quickly, and alcohol works very well for absorbing residual oils.
Do they use different things to 'denature' (i.e. prevent you drinking) isopropyl alcohol? And if so how do you find one that won't flavor the pipe?

I used to use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning but found it made my pipes taste bitter for awhile. Now I use Everclear even though it's more expensive. Thanks for any info, I didn't do well in chemistry!

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I think the brush is essential
everything else is yuor choice
elbow grease
as for germs, mold, and other things- peroxide, chlorine, vinegar etc.. all work well as long as you follow with a nice clean rinse or two
I like Ozone personally

Reactions: OzPiper
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Do they use different things to 'denature' (i.e. prevent you drinking) isopropyl alcohol? And if so how do you find one that won't flavor the pipe?

I used to use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning but found it made my pipes taste bitter for awhile. Now I use Everclear even though it's more expensive. Thanks for any info, I didn't do well in chemistry!
Hi Romaso,

Isopropyl is not denatured . It is chemical alcohol and cannot be drunk. it will poison you . Blind you etc.
It also does not flavor your pipe unless you are really impatient :)
After the cleaning I rest my pipes for 24 hrs. any possible alcohol odor is then gone.
So, if your pipe tastes bitter after a cleaning , it is probably not because of the iso alcohol.
Could be old ghosting , or insufficient cleaning . When the last alcohol dipped pipe cleaner comes out really clean, let it evporate entirely and then run a pipe cleaner dipped in a good quality whisky, cognac, or rum through the shank
and ( again ) let it evaporate.
Ocassionally I manage to obtain 95 % grain alcohol. It is expensive , cleans just as well and the smell
is quite agreeable.
Cheers !

Last edited:

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Now I use Everclear even though it's more expensive. Thanks for any info, I didn't do well in chemistry!
You can’t go wrong with Everclear.

Types and strengths of alcohol are not universally agreed upon here on the forum, but few will challenge the safety and effectiveness of Everclear as a cleaning agent.

I personally will only use drinkable alcohol, if and when, alcohol is needed for cleaning.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Hi Romaso,

Isopropyl is not denatured . It is chemical alcohol and cannot be drunk. it will poison you . Blind you etc.
It also does not flavor your pipe unless you are really impatient :)
After the cleaning I rest my pipes for 24 hrs. any possible alcohol odor is then gone.
So, if your pipe tastes bitter after a cleaning , it is probably not because of the iso alcohol.
Could be old ghosting , or insufficient cleaning . When the last alcohol dipped pipe cleaner comes out really clean, let it evporate entirely and then run a pipe cleaner dipped in a good quality whisky, cognac, or rum through the shank
and ( again ) let it evaporate.
Ocassionally I manage to obtain 95 % grain alcohol. It is expensive , cleans just as well and the smell
is quite agreeable.
Cheers !
Thanks! I've been using the 95% grain alcohol, but if isopropyl works just as well then I'll switch to that.

Now, do you know anything that would chemically remove the sulfur from vulcanite stems?

Reactions: keith929

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After every smoke I use anywhere from 2-4 fluffy tapered cleaners on the stem and then 4-6 tapered bristle cleaners on the shank and the mortise. Don't forget the mortise. Once I feel the pipe is clean, I put it back in the space it came from and let it rest a day or two. I never smoke a dirty pipe. Why waste good tobacco for the sake of a few pipe cleaners. Once a year or so I use my Everclear, bring out the shank brushes and then do a deep clean. I am totally anal about my pipes being clean and I love smoking a fresh pipe every day. I want my tobacco to taste as good as humanly possible.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Thanks! I've been using the 95% grain alcohol, but if isopropyl works just as well then I'll switch to that.

Now, do you know anything that would chemically remove the sulfur from vulcanite stems?
Not really, though there are liquid deoxidizers you can soak the stems in for 24 hrs.
See the pipe repair and maintenance section !
Like you I did not do well in chemistry :)

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
No, because isopropanol is toxic to drink anyway. Ethanol is grain (drinking) alcohol, and it is usually denatured with a little methanol if it’s not being sold for drinking. If it’s not denatured it’s subject to liquor taxes, regulations, etc.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I am with a lot of the guys - I am anal about wanting to smoke a clean pipe. I clean every time and use a bristled pipe cleaner. It will take about four- in the shaft and stem. I use a cheap drinkable alcohol, whatever is around. I have never found Everclear!! Every pipe may occasionally get the salt cleaning! Occasionally I have bought an estate and have been amazed by the filth- how could the previous smoker use the pipe like this!!! (Also, how could a decent seller sell it to me like this!!)

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr