Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks fellers, I have a couple of normal briars on order. Not sure if I can ask this in this particular thread but what is the difference between Flake and Ready Rubbed tobacco and if I bought Flake how exactly do you rub it? Sorry but I'm a complete novice.
Easy put two or three flakes in your palms and rub! (Over something that will catch it!) Then dry it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Easy put two or three flakes in your palms and rub! (Over something that will catch it!) Then dry it.
when i rub out a flake i pull it into strips and put them bunched in the middle of my palm put hands together and make circular motion rolling the ball until it is to the point i want it at. Or in other words play around and see how it works out

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Those pipes aren't really that bad(of course, one of my faves is a Venturi ~ completely made of resin). But the cleaning is a hassle. I would agree that a good briar pipe would serve you better. But keep that one for testing new blends. Give it an alcohol or hot water rinse, and it's ready for the next new tobacco.

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
Thanks fellers, I have a couple of normal briars on order. Not sure if I can ask this in this particular thread but what is the difference between Flake and Ready Rubbed tobacco and if I bought Flake how exactly do you rub it? Sorry but I'm a complete novice.
Flakes come in rectangular, square, and round medallion shapes. they come from pressing or rolling the tobacco leaves and then slicing into "flakes". As said above, just rub them out between your palms and then let dry for maybe 20 minutes before you load up and light up. Some people like to also just fold the flakes and stuff them in their pipe. I do both, depending on which flake it is, but I'd recommend starting with rubbing out flakes. Fold and stuff method is better when you've got some more experience loading pipes, and will benefit from you figuring out your smoking cadence, in my opinion. Of course YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
A ready rubbed is a ready rubbed flake . I sometimes "fold" my flakes , love it . Sort of like this :

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Love my plugs above any pipe tobacco , probably because I'm an incurable romantic :
It requires a sturdy, razor sharp knife . Preferably one with a so-called lambsfoot blade.

Better toss the pipe in the dumpster and whatever ; do not buy a Peterson instead :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: edger

Pazzerpipe

Might Stick Around
Mar 26, 2022
Liverpool, UK
Just to keep folks posted, I've managed, through patience and deft, gentle probing with a cleaner, to find the way through the metal bar obstructing the draft hole! Yes, a clear draft hole is less fuss but I'm getting it down to an art now and am able to clean the pipe only slightly slower than normal. I persisted because despite the advice to ditch this Asian Joyoldelf it is actually a bloody good smoke. I still have a beautiful Briar on order but I'll still revisit this pipe from time to time. ?

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Just to keep folks posted, I've managed, through patience and deft, gentle probing with a cleaner, to find the way through the metal bar obstructing the draft hole! Yes, a clear draft hole is less fuss but I'm getting it down to an art now and am able to clean the pipe only slightly slower than normal. I persisted because despite the advice to ditch this Asian Joyoldelf it is actually a bloody good smoke. I still have a beautiful Briar on order but I'll still revisit this pipe from time to time. ?
If you like it, that's all that matters! I'm glad to hear you've found a way to clean it.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
My doctor was quite open about the importance of regularly 'cleaning the pipes', helps to keep a healthy prostate.

Glad to hear you are getting the hang of it though.
Just be careful and don't use too stiff pipe cleaners, and slowly twist them so you don't scratch the inside of the stem, especially if it happens to be a bent one