PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Hello guys,

First let me say I have used the search feature on this site, and have familiarized myself a decent amount with the topic I’m going to ask about…but am still curious…

I see now after smoking for a short time the convenience of passing a pipe cleaner into the bowl whenever you may want to,
I see why you wouldn’t necessarily want to break down a traditional mortise and tenon pipe after every smoke, convenience yes but also not being unnecessarily hard on the Fit of the joint.
so I suppose my question is, for those pipes that have not had a pipe cleaner ramp Dremeled into the draft hole, what do you guys do for regular post smoke cleaning? Seems the two most simplified options I can see are let the moisture (if enough to notice) flow into bottom of bowl and get it that way, or just break the pipe down after every smoke once it’s cool.
Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gervais

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I usually smoke a bowl, empty, reload, light and go about my business. Pipe cleaners and any reaming required is usually reserved for Sundays. A pipe cleaner may be required during a smoke. I simply break the pipe down, if required (I've never experienced a problem reassembling.), use the pipe cleaner, reassemble. relight and ... go about my business.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
While I don’t recommend taking a pipe apart while still warm, I’ve done it and had no issues. I use as many pipe cleaners as necessary, as often as necessary, to have the quality of smoke I desire.

I don’t think this requires a lot of contemplating, though: It’s probably better to clean a pipe than not. How often and how you do that is up to you and your pipes.

I don’t have any pipes that can’t pass a pipe cleaner, though. That might be something to check for before your next pipe purchase; I’m of the mind that every pipe should be able to pass a cleaner.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Oh for sure, and I do have a little Peterson with a copper military mount that I like really well!
just for the record, not intending for this to be a “should all pipes pass a cleaner” debate…lol… as said I know there’s plenty of threads out there already…
seems like though, right or wrong, for or against, by design/geometry restriction or sloppy manufacturing, etc etc…there are traditional mortise and tenon pipes out there that are drilled at 12:00 and will not pass a pipe cleaner. For those who own and smoke these, this is what I’m curious about. The opinions and methods of those who smoke them regularly. From the initial responses seems like worrying about mortise and tenon joint wear and tear isnt as critical as I was making it out to be. Hope this makes sense

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some won't pass a pipe cleaner by design. I also clean mine after each use, and always break them down, some areas in some pipes can't get cleaned without doing it and it also allows better cleaning of the inside of the shank. If I carried a pipe all day and smoked it several times I'd probably do it differently. I prefer to have the stem removed to make sure it's cleaned.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and Jef

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I disassemble briars and immediately clean them after each smoke. Unless you are getting the pipe hot, it's not going to damage the tenon/mortise joints. Full bents can pass a pipe cleaner if drilled correctly.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
If, during your smoking pleasure, you're experiencing moisture build up and are unable to pass a cleaner through the stem, into the shank, try the flick method.
Holding the pipe firmly hand, at the bowl, with the bowl covered give it a quick flicking to expel any moisture. A method I use for some of my bents. Note. Not a Peterson.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I run a pipe cleaner through my pipe after every smoke. I may load the same pipe again, but I still always run a pipe cleaner through it tha best I can. Once the pipe is cool I tear it down and clean it as thoroughly as I can. Once a month I dip pipe cleaners in some whiskey and run it through the pipe.

jef

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Han

thanks for all the responses and info guys!
Hawkeye,
regarding the Peterson system pipes, appreciate the link, but what I am/was curious about is standard mortise and tenon designs
No problem.

Whether a pipe cleaner goes through or not, I’m still taking it apart to clean and after every use.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Hello guys,

First let me say I have used the search feature on this site, and have familiarized myself a decent amount with the topic I’m going to ask about…but am still curious…

I see now after smoking for a short time the convenience of passing a pipe cleaner into the bowl whenever you may want to,
I see why you wouldn’t necessarily want to break down a traditional mortise and tenon pipe after every smoke, convenience yes but also not being unnecessarily hard on the Fit of the joint.
so I suppose my question is, for those pipes that have not had a pipe cleaner ramp Dremeled into the draft hole, what do you guys do for regular post smoke cleaning? Seems the two most simplified options I can see are let the moisture (if enough to notice) flow into bottom of bowl and get it that way, or just break the pipe down after every smoke once it’s cool.
Any opinions?
I have 2 ODA 840's that I need to modify, by cutting a "pipe cleaner guide ramp" with a Dremel.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm not saying I recommend breaking down the pipe right after a smoke or even during the smoke. But I do it all the time. One of the reason is, all the crap accumulate at mortise, and end of the tenon. Second reason is, I don't like any noticable moisture in my pipe or just imaginary moisture. And clean, dry pipe taste better. So I clean my pipe often as I feel I need to, and that involves breaking down my pipes very often. None of my pipes worn out the mortise or tenon where I notice any issues. I do wonder when I'll crack the shank, but it seems it will take a lot more than what I'm doing to them. Do have military mounts and spigots, and they are definitely easier to do this multiple times during a single session.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss