PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Also with bent pipes, bristled pipe cleaners can be a pain trying to get around the bend. They can be very pointed at the tip so it may scrape the inside of your stem. I've notice if your having trouble getting the cleaner to pass all the way through, bend the tip of the cleaner a bit and like the other gentleman said pull back turn a bit, push in, back out, back in until it pokes through. Hope this helps a bit 😆.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
There are two brands of pipe cleaner that are very flexible and go around bends more easily. They should be able to navigate the airway of your bent pipes. If they get hung up, you can give them a twist and they'll keep going.

White Elephant Cotton Tapered Pipe Cleaners 100 Pack - https://www.tobaccopipes.com/white-elephant-cotton-tapered-pipe-cleaners-100-pack/

BTW, I used to observe the rule about waiting until the pipe had cooled, usually overnight, to break it down for cleaning. Now I pull out the stem, run hot water carefully through the stem, and separately into the bowl, dry both thoroughly, run a pipe cleaner through both parts (it usually comes out clean with the first pass), then put the pipe back together and swab the bowl with a paper towel. If it needs it, I'll shine the stummel with a soft cloth.