PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I fixed a Peterson P-lip that felt a litte constricted by straightening it out.
I straighten bents during a clean up and scrub them with a bristle cleaner and toothpaste. Makes the work a lot easier.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Duane, now YOU TELL ME. It actually worked out great. I purchased the pipe at steal because the seller thought the stummel wasn't drilled properly. It was the stem filled with crap.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Oh, have you came across one that had an airway completely filled with cake? The drill bit on a senior reamer works like a charm!

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Do you find that heat softens sharp edges? I have to admit, I am now on high pucker factor when working on "sharp" stems.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Do you find that heat softens sharp edges?
I only work small sections at a time, only "painting" the stem with the flame, but never long enough to smell hot vulcanite. Just a few quick back and forth swipes before wiping with a wet paper towel.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Tried the heat gun. Too much surface area exposed to heat, and didn't help lift the oxidation for some reason.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use hot tap water on the inside and outside of both stummel and stem, but keeping the stem in at all times. After drying, or just letting dry, the vulcanite on some pipes with that material they turn grayish. A tiny bit of mineral oil will shine them right up.
Michael- Water flush will reduce the gunk in the mortise, making deep cleanings less frequent.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A tiny bit of mineral oil will shine them right up.

That's only masking the oxidation.
Really! It makes the pipe look great, and lasts for weeks, perhaps months. And it removes no material.
Folks, if you haven't tried it, please do so and report back.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Those of you using warm water flushes regularly, do you find that it's sufficient to do this occasionally and use plain pipe cleaners in between deep cleanings? Or do you find it's just as well to flush after every smoke?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Only extreme stem torture testing is going to settle this.
Doing horrible things to wood is one thing. Doing horrible things to vulcanite requires a couple of eBay shitshow sacrifices. Luckily, I have a couple.
I also own thermocouples, if I get time I'll do a proper heat experiment.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Craig-
I now save up until I have a dozen of so that need cleaning, so some have been smoked once, and others several times. I am sparing on the pipe cleaners, and don't use them after each flush. For my "deep cleaning" I will remove the stem and swab out the mortise, and paper towel the chamber, pipe cleaner run through the airway.
So far, after two years of hot water flushing, I've not had the need to use any harsher cleaning methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.