Clay Tobacco Pipes = Need Your Opinions....etc,..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
The airway is quite large on mine and nothing is blocking it.

The first time I used it it was pretty good the 2nd just as good but now ... epic failure. May need to get get it re fired and start again.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
How are clay pipes?

Clay pipes a lovely, they don't ghost, they're fairly cheap and give a nice flavourful smoke. the draw is smooth and they dont really need time to rest. They give you the full, unaltered flavour of the tobacco and they're just as good as a cob.
Are they nice to smoke?

As I said above, they are wonderful to smoke, the draw is smooth, and you get the unaltered flavour of the tobacco, no ghosting at all.
What are the pros/cons?

-Smooth Draw

-No Ghosting

-Pure Flavour of the Tobacco
cons:

-easy to break

-clenchers may find they strange to smoke
Any homemade clay pipe makers...??

Not me :(

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
Managed to have an ok smoke but kept huffing and puffing in order to keep the smoke lit.

Should be relxing but this is not so.

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
Managed to have an ok smoke but kept huffing and puffing in order to keep the smoke lit.

Should be relxing but this is not so.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
i may be tempted later this year on that pipe there was a old thread i read about the diffrent types of clay used for pipes and my Wally Franks at 4 inches is my favorite pipe it seams to have thicker walls than my german made cutty

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Maybe it's because of the historical/cultural importance of the clay pipe. Nevertheless, it's a pretty pipe, but I'm gonna buy a clay from Penn Valley or Dawn Mist

Jul 12, 2011
U r right about tradition and cost, think I will pickup one for both smoking qualities and traditions to salute

my Irish brothers

Jul 12, 2011
PAD beast call'in

cl-exp-600x406.jpg

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
i had a clay for years that came from wilsons of sharrow, the thing was great when it was lit, but keeping it that way sometimes took some work. i found it one day in two pieces and still don't know how it got that way. they are so delicate i have no idea how it made it from the u.k. to my house in ohio .

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
mmm so far clay pipe is hit & miss with certain types of tobacco. Mellow Virginia is a no go since it keeps going out. However English blends do well & rum & plum is about satisfactory. Needless to say I am definitly going to get a bigger clay pipe as my English Civil war style pipe is too small for a good smoke.
Dawnmist here I come .. when she is ready to fire.

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
mmm so far clay pipe is hit & miss with certain types of tobacco. Mellow Virginia is a no go since it keeps going out. However English blends do well & rum & plum is about satisfactory. Needless to say I am definitly going to get a bigger clay pipe as my English Civil war style pipe is too small for a good smoke.
Dawnmist here I come .. when she is ready to fire.

Jul 12, 2011
I just got one of those traditional Irish clay pipes in, nice thick/heavy bowl

on her, but I notice the draw isn't as full as the clay I got from Penn Valley (which for $10.)

is becoming my favorite to smoke in the AM with coffee or trying new bacci and getting the

pure flavors is fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.