Clay Tobacco Pipes = Need Your Opinions....etc,..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Over here, in The Netherlands, the clay pipe has a long tradition. Most famous is the so called Goudse Lakpunt:
lakpunt.jpg

Although there are a few Dutch pipesmokers who still enjoy a clay on a regular basis, they're mostly used in pipe smoking contests as seen in the picture: who can keep 3 grams of tobacco lit for the longest time. You get two matches, for the one and only attempt you have to light up. The tobacco used is called 'baai', a very fine cut. This type of tobacco is consired to be the best choice for these long clays, which still tend to smoke very hot.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
clays offer a good smoke i have a couple a trick a "old timer" told me and it works wrap some hemp twine around the stem up by the bowl so you dont burn your fingers

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
i'm surprised that no one has mentioned the lepeltier(sp?) clay pipes. certainly non-traditional in looks. appears they have briar-sized bowls. but how do they smoke?? any experiences with them??

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
Well I have to say the large Alderman clay pipe smokes an absolute treat even with Mellow Virginia which was a struggle in the old clay.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have never owned or smoked a clay, but just had to give it a try. I'm fixin' to fire up

my new 18" Tavern Pipe... Thought I'd go for all the gusto and try it with Peterson's

Irish Flake... I haven't been this excited about a new pipe in quit a while.
IMG_1734-1.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I bought this clay years ago at a small gift shop in St. Augustine, FL. Enjoyed many smokes with it but as mentioned it does get hot. It's great for first time smokes of an untried blend. It's no surprise to me to hear that blenders use them for sampling their work.
_DSC0398.jpg

038.jpg

Generally clays have pretty small bowls. Mine is ok for a 30-40 minute smoke.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah it could probably use a cleaning but I like the patina it's got so I just smoke it and put it down. I wipe the bowl out so it doesn't start to form a cake but that's about it. :D

rickcrum

Lurker
May 6, 2014
I'm buying one right now off of Penn Valley. actually a pair... the way i see it, they are so cheap and such a huge part of the pipe smokers heritage, we don't have a choice! I think I am going to have to buy some Walter Raleigh original though to have out of it since he should be credited as well! One clay for me, another for visitors, so then end can be broken off like they did in old taverns

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I posted elsewhere on here as I have 'pipe notches' from years of smoking clays! Make sure you buy the ones with the red/yellow/green tips made by Pollocks otherwise you will wind up with lip cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.