PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Wanted to do March madness but are also a cheap arse?

Wanted to do a meer for a year but like me have commitment issues?

Then get onboard the newest PAD craze which will no doubt fail to take off like 7oz codger cans of clan.

I bring you, Clay for a day!

Up your pipe game like the OG Walter Raleigh. Get your church on like a deacon. Load your bowl à la Frodo.

I don’t care how you do it. You could smoke a clay exclusively for a day. You could smoke a clay once a week/month/year/life. You could smoke a cob while mudding at your family reunion.

Or you could jump on this year’s claytona 500 and take on the clay king @halfdan himself.

NZ’s homegrown classy arse clay is coming for you bro.

D59878FB-057A-42B8-B578-2235F72E2A30.jpeg

But yeah, you get the picture. I like smoking clay pipes too. Who else does?

And in an effort to avoid another gold plated 5 pointed 3 star invasion, I thought this might be a cool thread to channel our enthusiasm, log our smoke times and focus our chatter on our teeth.

🤙🏼

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Is anyone going to tell him?

"Sepiolite, also known in English by the German name meerschaum ... -⁠shəm; German: [ˈmeːɐ̯ʃaʊm] ( listen); meaning "sea foam"), is a soft white clay mineral."
I never said it wasn’t bro, i just couldn’t get it to rhyme with day, and “a meerschaum for a complete planetary rotation” just don’t have the same pizzazz you know?

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Some nitpicking on clay and sepiolite. From the geological point of view Clay and sepiolite are not to be equated with each other. They are totally different in respect to their properties.

Clay is a unique combination of the clay minerals kaolin, illite, chlorite, sepiolite, and smectite. It’s a heterogeneous mixture of those elements. It needs to be burned at high temperature to keep the hardness and shape like clay pipes, pottery… do.

And clays are much cheaper, I like mine,
46D336AC-7558-44D2-898B-300CA883951F.jpeg

Sepiolite is a mineral with a characteristic needle shaped crystal structure. “It is a rare mineral with the chemical composition Mg8[(OH)2| Si6O15]2· (4+8) H2O and thus chemically a water-containing magnesium silicate with additional hydroxide ions. According to its crystal structure, it belongs to the phyllosilicates.”

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I actually find holding a clay bowl is a great help for slowing down one’s cadence.

And, what a specific tabak tastes like when free of the influence - both good and bad - of the Briar or Cobs in a collection of smokers.

I use the little $10 4" Cutty's as Tasting Pipes when working at the Blender's Bench.

Love clay pipes for tasting purposes! - Sherm Natman

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some nitpicking on clay and sepiolite. From the geological point of view Clay and sepiolite are not to be equated with each other. They are totally different in respect to their properties.
We were joking.

They are similar in many respects though, and both will get hot if smoked too quickly. The walls of a clay are nearly paper thin and have to be smoked slowly accordingly as one would with a thick versus thin walled briar. If they could be made as thick as many meerschaums, they'd likely not heat as quickly. Both are mineral substances, and are listed as two different kinds of clay materials.

It is a rare mineral
And yet deposits exist in Turkey, Africa, and the US with millions of pipes produced from it for the past 300 years.