PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
How do people view these in comparison to other high end Italian pipes? I have one castello - a shape 55 sea rock - and the bowl tends to get noticeably hot. It doesnt smoke any better than my savinellis. There are a bunch of cavicchis on smoking pipes and they are pricey but look very nice. I am looking for a “substantial” hand filling pipe - have enough smaller lighter ones.

Reactions: Civil War

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I only have one Cavicchi, which I won on ebay for $103. It is one of my absolute favorite pipes, a straight smooth dublin. If I found another one for a good price again, I would not hesitate. The drilling is perfect, the grain is spectacular, and it smokes like a dream. They are available on ebay pretty frequently, but if I saw the right one, I would pay retail for it if the time was right for me financially.

As far as how they compare to other high end Italian pipes, I own some Castellos, Morettis, high end Savinellis, and more. I would throw away any of them to keep that Cavicchi.

1406f6ed-e206-4518-bf8e-24d5db408de5.jpg
09892ae2-6952-493f-b3d7-685baaea7301.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A Cavicchi 3 or 4C, which I would say is very good to very, very good grain, respectively, will come in $200.00? less than Castello. I'm always drawn to look at Cavicchi smooths because the quality/price ratio is so pleasing.

I'm not one to talk about how well a pipe smokes, as to me all pipes, more or less, smoke equally well. But I certainly never found fault with the Cavicchis I owned.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Cavicchi is a master at finding the most beautiful grain. If you're into that sort of thing, I think they provide a great value compared to what you'd pay for the same kind of grain on a pipe from one of the Danish masters or American artisans.

This is just my opinion about the comparison between Cavicchi and other Italian makers, but in terms of smoking qualities I don't find them to be any better or any worse than Castellos, Ardors, or Ser Jacopos. In my experience, Castellos seem to provide a superior first couple of bowls but after the pipe is broken in I haven't noticed any real difference in smoking characteristics between them and Cavicchi pipes or the others.

I wouldn't think twice about buying a Cavicchi that piqued my interest.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Cavicchi is a master at finding the most beautiful grain. If you're into that sort of thing, I think they provide a great value compared to what you'd pay for the same kind of grain on a pipe from one of the Danish masters or American artisans.

This is just my opinion about the comparison between Cavicchi and other Italian makers, but in terms of smoking qualities I don't find them to be any better or any worse than Castellos, Ardors, or Ser Jacopos. In my experience, Castellos seem to provide a superior first couple of bowls but after the pipe is broken in I haven't noticed any real difference in smoking characteristics between them and Cavicchi pipes or the others.

I concur about the grain. Even though 98% of their pipes are larger than I prefer I still look at them on SP when they update.
Same goes for Jacono.. I see fantastic grain and orientation on their pipes at a very decent price point. I kind of like their funky flamingo shape, but I’ll probably never buy one.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney

Agree totally with the above, I have about 7 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.