Claudio Cavicchi

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tobacco Treasures Ad

mordy18

Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
How do people view these in comparison to other high end Italian pipes? I have one castello - a shape 55 sea rock - and the bowl tends to get noticeably hot. It doesnt smoke any better than my savinellis. There are a bunch of cavicchis on smoking pipes and they are pricey but look very nice. I am looking for a “substantial” hand filling pipe - have enough smaller lighter ones.

Reactions: civilwar

alaskanpiper

Preferred Member
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I only have one Cavicchi, which I won on ebay for $103. It is one of my absolute favorite pipes, a straight smooth dublin. If I found another one for a good price again, I would not hesitate. The drilling is perfect, the grain is spectacular, and it smokes like a dream. They are available on ebay pretty frequently, but if I saw the right one, I would pay retail for it if the time was right for me financially.

As far as how they compare to other high end Italian pipes, I own some Castellos, Morettis, high end Savinellis, and more. I would throw away any of them to keep that Cavicchi.

1406f6ed-e206-4518-bf8e-24d5db408de5.jpg
09892ae2-6952-493f-b3d7-685baaea7301.jpg

Tobacco Treasures Ad

saltedplug

Preferred Member
Aug 20, 2013
North Carolina
A Cavicchi 3 or 4C, which I would say is very good to very, very good grain, respectively, will come in $200.00? less than Castello. I'm always drawn to look at Cavicchi smooths because the quality/price ratio is so pleasing.

I'm not one to talk about how well a pipe smokes, as to me all pipes, more or less, smoke equally well. But I certainly never found fault with the Cavicchis I owned.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Cavicchi is a master at finding the most beautiful grain. If you're into that sort of thing, I think they provide a great value compared to what you'd pay for the same kind of grain on a pipe from one of the Danish masters or American artisans.

This is just my opinion about the comparison between Cavicchi and other Italian makers, but in terms of smoking qualities I don't find them to be any better or any worse than Castellos, Ardors, or Ser Jacopos. In my experience, Castellos seem to provide a superior first couple of bowls but after the pipe is broken in I haven't noticed any real difference in smoking characteristics between them and Cavicchi pipes or the others.

I wouldn't think twice about buying a Cavicchi that piqued my interest.

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Cavicchi is a master at finding the most beautiful grain. If you're into that sort of thing, I think they provide a great value compared to what you'd pay for the same kind of grain on a pipe from one of the Danish masters or American artisans.

This is just my opinion about the comparison between Cavicchi and other Italian makers, but in terms of smoking qualities I don't find them to be any better or any worse than Castellos, Ardors, or Ser Jacopos. In my experience, Castellos seem to provide a superior first couple of bowls but after the pipe is broken in I haven't noticed any real difference in smoking characteristics between them and Cavicchi pipes or the others.

I concur about the grain. Even though 98% of their pipes are larger than I prefer I still look at them on SP when they update.
Same goes for Jacono.. I see fantastic grain and orientation on their pipes at a very decent price point. I kind of like their funky flamingo shape, but I’ll probably never buy one.

anthony416

Sep 30, 2016

Agree totally with the above, I have about 7 of them.

Tobacco Treasures Ad