PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Pine-Sol, baking bread, cat piss, fresh brewed coffee, bacon frying, rich, Corinthian leather, lemon, lilac.

In men's toiletries, Old Spice, Bay Rum, Aqua Velva, Canoe, Patchouli, English Leather, Brute, and who can ever forget the reason (probably) that we forget...Right Guard spray deodorant?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
baking bread, cat piss, fresh brewed coffee, bacon frying
Yep, every time the classic and mouth watering aroma of frying bacon and fresh brewed coffee comes to mind I immediately think of....... cat piss?

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Interesting comments, all!
I'd have to add that when I was a child, we had a lot of pine trees, which are rare but not nonexistent where I live. So when I do pick up a whiff of pine needles, it's quite nostalgia inducing. The same goes for Camellia flowers.
I also have a someone nostalgic attraction to cigarette smoke. I don't like the smell, but when I was a very small child my best friend's parents were smokers, so it reminds me of his house.
Most of my nostalgic associations are from very early childhood--the teenage years are not so far off, and I don't look back on them fondly.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The first wish is a dangerous one to have: there are so folks here that will deliver pine needles to you by the bushel.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I am surprised that the pheromone, Lovan's Musk, has not been mentioned. Seemed to work pretty well on young women at the time.
Maternal GF liked Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal, as did many barbershops in NE PA, & Bay Rum.

Dad liked Old Spice & Canoe; I think still I have a bottle of his Old Spice.
+1 on the mesquite & hickory smoke. Also, using apple wood for ribs, chicken & salmon, & pecan for fish.
Been using Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Spray instead of DEET for my au du cologne.

(Here's a nice Medscape/WebMD review of repellents Mosquito Repellants: Everything You Need to Tell Your Patients)

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I like Pinaud Clubman but most often use Bay Rum, either Pinaud or Layrite No.9.

Pitralon Pure is another favorite too.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Ha! What memories! Caused me to remember Pinaud Lilac Vegetal... like CossackJack mentioned above... just also happened to be in a NCPA barbershop... my dad's and then mine... a place where purt near everyone smoked... there was a great and glorious spitoon by the door... I learned all manner of colorful language there... WW2 vets refought WW2... hippies and commiepinkofaglunaticfringers got too much airtime... and EVERY haircut was finished with a well stropped straight razor around the ears and and neck. And then, like an atomic explosion on freshly shaved skin: KASPLASH!!! On went the Lilac Vegetal with wild abandon!! That shop, and maybe thousands like it, are all gone now, as are the denisons thereof. My dad passed in 1980. The last time I wanted a real haircut, I could not find a real barber... had to settle for a "styling salon". Not the same. Luckily (sort of) I am now so bald, I buzz off irregulars with a clipper and I've learned how to razor-shave my ears and ears and neck with only occasional bloodshed. Actually I have more g-d- hair growing out of my ears and nose than on my head. What cruel irony of fate. Oh well.

clubman-pinaud-lilac-vegetal-125-ounce-aftershave-lotion-dcf5b04e-a8bc-4538-9310-8e2751842694-250x600.jpg

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@jerwynn:

I am bald & proud of it.

Bald is beautiful!

Actually, not bald, but have a full head of transparent hair. (Motor Vehicles would not allow me to put hair color: clear on my driver's license)

Proud member of The Clear Hair Club for Men.
God made few perfect heads...the rest he covered with hair.
Bald reduces wind resistance.

No shampoo needed, just wash from the chin, over the top to your neck.

Throw away combs, brushes, hair dryers.
If the reflected glare bothers others, tell 'em to put on sunglasses. They should be dazzled by your brilliance!
I tell my wife wife, "This is not baldness...it is the solar panel for my sex machine."

To which she replies, "Put a hat on, stay out of the sun, & get over yourself". (Sigh. My declaration gets no mileage with her)

(She sometimes adds. "Did your IQ suddenly drop 100 points? Did you even have 100 points to lose?")
I need to get a bottle of Lilac Vegetal & maybe Bay Rum.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Hey CossackJ!! GREAT ATTITUDE!!!! Huzzah!! :) :) :) And it sounds like your wife and mine were cut from the same bolt, so to speak!! At least she's never sarcastic without a smile!! And now that you bring to mind all the gifts of being bald, I DO remember, a long LONG time ago, constantly fighting with a goldang cowlick the NEVER took no for an answer!! Not for the last ten years at least now!! Now, off to the Pinaud store!! (Found some at Wally World once! You just have to be willing to brave the Pod People there tho!) Carry on!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.