PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Compared to $10 cobs, these $50 cobs typically feature a more stylish design and a more comfortable stem. It can hit someone's spot in terms of both aesthetics and practicality.

If one day Clarin could introduce a more visually appealing product line, I wouldn't hesitate to pay my $70.View attachment 283083
@suamrai61 I love patterned clays!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I’ll stick with Penn Valley…

@craig61a I feel pipe acquisition disorder - if they weren't out of stock:) The Clay King thinks it's a shame to smoke a new clean white pipe!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I suppose the fragility of a clay no different that a meer, then. Or even more fragile, a meer with an amber stem. I think that I'd prefer a Clarin pipe unadorned. The finish does look quite nice.
@woodsroad Didn't break any clays at the Battle of Nantwich yesterday:) One of my New Year resolutions!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The finish on the Clarin looks wonderful. It looks like something that would appeal to me and my appreciation of craft and graceful aesthetics. But, the fragility of the material makes me wonder about bang for buck. For the price of one Clarin, I could buy eight of the least expensive Old German Clay pipes (almost nine). With either brand, one klutzy moment and kaput! But that 1:8 ratio sure seems appealing and smart in that moment. I guess it depends on what I ultimately want. For $65.00, I could get another nice little briar Ropp Etudiant—something I have to worry about less with regard to dropping. While I have some nice, and/or relatively rare vintage cobs, I admit I largely think of cobs as disposable and easily replaced; I think about many clay pipes in this way as well, although I do have collectible ones that would very difficult to replace.

It seems the less expensive clays are much thinner, but I wonder if a few hours with some sanding blocks or a Dremel could make them very spiffy. Could I make a turd into gold with a little elbow grease? Or is my time worth more than that? Maybe paying $65.00 for something nice is worth it and I just need to be careful. I may wait and see what else they offer in the future. There are briar pipes at the head of the line the Clarin is in.
@TheIronMonkey I've lost count of how many clays I've broken...