New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've picked up a few that were wrapped in those cedar wraps, but that didn't seem to give me cedar notes. I am by far the most willfully ignorant of brands and makers of cigars, but I have picked up on hints of cedar at times from other cigars, just a hint or whiff of cedar here and there, usually from lighter colored wrapper. I don't think I would enjoy a cigar that just wreaked of cedar throughout. I didn't think it was from real cedar, just a note like notes of chocolate you get sometimes from a really good burley, that tea taste I get from some Virginias, or how latakia can have a cologne aroma every now and then.

The ones that I have picked up on that aroma usually have like a kaleidoscope of other flavors also. I remember getting some hints of that from the Cubans that were gifted to me, but you didn't want to hear that.

My problem is remembering the stupid names of cigars Alto Fuego Domenico Our Father, YoMomma, Pardoname... I hate the names. I can't remember a damned one. Are they named after dead Cubans or something? Why can't they just name them Al, Joe, or something cool like Astro-Stix? And the stupid paper rings don't help much. I am always surprised when someone identifies my cigars in the "What Cigar are You Smoking" thread. It takes some serious time with cigars to do that, I think. Hell, I don't know what half the cigars are in my humidor, ha ha.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Since I couldn't identify the taste, I took a bite out of the cedar siding on the house. Still couldn't identify the taste. Maybe a bit woody? I think people are confusing taste and smell. If not, can someone put into words what cedar flavor tastes like? Thank you.
So you’ve never had a cedar flavor from a cigar? It’s ok, we know you have a limited palate. Some day you’ll get it.

the flavor is like the aroma of fresh cedar with an underlying sweetness.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
For years my go to cigar has been the Fuentes Double Chateau precisely because of it's cedar flavor/scent/note/smell/feel or whatever it really is that brings out the cedar. I used to buy them 2 boxes at a time back when you didn't need to take out a loan in order to buy a box of cigars.
I get the cedar mostly when I bring it up to my face to smoke it. Not really in the smoke. There are a lot of cedar wrapped cigars and cedar lined humidors but I've found that they really do nothing for the cedar hit like the Fuentes Double Chateau.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My problem is remembering the stupid names of cigars Alto Fuego Domenico Our Father, YoMomma, Pardoname... I hate the names. I can't remember a damned one. Are they named after dead Cubans or something? Why can't they just name them Al, Joe, or something cool like Astro-Stix? And the stupid paper rings don't help much. I am always surprised when someone identifies my cigars in the "What Cigar are You Smoking" thread. It takes some serious time with cigars to do that, I think. Hell, I don't know what half the cigars are in my humidor, ha ha.
Oh man, the names of cigars, particularly non-Cubans, can be utterly ridiculous. Or when they start mixing different languages like the Illusione Fume D'Amor Concepciones. Now, I am no xenophobe, and for an American, I think I am pretty good at trying to pronounce words correctly in languages that I don't speak natively, but come on... That's Italian, French AND Spanish, all to describe a single (excellent) cigar!

Oh man, the names of cigars, particularly non-Cubans, can be utterly ridiculous. Or when they start mixing different languages like the Illusione Fume D'Amor Concepciones. Now, I am no xenophobe, and for an American, I think I am pretty good at trying to pronounce words correctly in languages that I don't speak natively, but come on... That's Italian, French AND Spanish, all to describe a single (excellent) cigar!
The names of most finer wines are just as bad. It's like these people in other countries just have no imagination when it comes to names. Keep it short, zippy, easily branded.
Unless Zuccardi Valle de Uco is just another language for Wild Irish Rose, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
For years my go to cigar has been the Fuentes Double Chateau precisely because of it's cedar flavor/scent/note/smell/feel or whatever it really is that brings out the cedar. I used to buy them 2 boxes at a time back when you didn't need to take out a loan in order to buy a box of cigars.
I get the cedar mostly when I bring it up to my face to smoke it. Not really in the smoke. There are a lot of cedar wrapped cigars and cedar lined humidors but I've found that they really do nothing for the cedar hit like the Fuentes Double Chateau.
Agree. I don’t believe you can get tons of cedar just from a humidor etc. it has to do with the production of the leaf.

Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It seems to be filler-related. I’m not 100% sure what actually gives a cedar flavor in the cigar. Most Fuente have it. Cubans have it a lot but I should have clarified: non-Cubans. I’m not dropping the coin on them.
I remember buying cigars that had a cedar wrap between the cigar and the cellophane. And it was kind of amazing how much cedar would transfer to the cigar including if you reused the cedar wrap around to another cigar. My bet is they're infused by being stored in cedar. Just a guess.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Wait, you really don't taste cedar in cigars? Not even in Cubans? I'm really curious now.

No, I don't. I smell it when they're in the box but I don't taste it. Cigars are stored in cedar because it does a good job absorbing outdoors and helps stabilize humidity. Very neutral wood. I do not believe it transfer flavor to the cigar.

No, I don't. I smell it when they're in the box but I don't taste it. Cigars are stored in cedar because it does a good job absorbing outdoors and helps stabilize humidity. Very neutral wood. I do not believe it transfer flavor to the cigar.
I don’t “believe” it transfers either. But, I have tasted cedar notes in cigars.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don’t “believe” it transfers either. But, I have tasted cedar notes in cigars.

You may have, how can I dispute that? I tend to be rather digital in tasting tobacco, I either like it or I don't. Never cared to analyze the flavors. I'm the same with women. I don't break down all the attributes like nice nose, great eyes, pretty hair, great nipples poking through the blouse, etc.. okay, I lied a little. If she has great nipples poking through the blouse, I can mostly overlook a butter face.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yeah I’ve heard Ashton have it. Haven’t tried a natural from them. Also Davidoff

You may have, how can I dispute that? I tend to be rather digital in tasting tobacco, I either like it or I don't. Never cared to analyze the flavors. I'm the same with women. I don't break down all the attributes like nice nose, great eyes, pretty hair, great nipples poking through the blouse, etc.. okay, I lied a little. If she has great nipples poking through the blouse, I can mostly overlook a butter face.
Bruce Jenner would like a word with you

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ever heard of aging “en cedro” ?

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ever heard of aging “en cedro” ?

BROBS, I have probably smoked over 20,000 cigars in my life and forgot more about them than you'll ever know. I have little doubt you are susceptible to some marketing bullshit like cedar sleeves around the cigar. But look, if you like it, enjoy yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.