[Cigars] Open Glass of Water in the Humidor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If your cigars are still in their wrappers, they are not getting much benefit from any amount of humidity you put in there.

Good point... There wouldn’t be much short term benefit; the cellophane does act as a barrier to moisture loss though.

Over the long term the cigar inside will tend to acclimate to the surrounding environment, albeit very slowly.

Leaving the cellophane on helps to avoid damage to the wrapper. If you’re storing cigars in a tupperdore that gets moved around, jostled, or bumped, then it might be better to leave the wrapper on. Some people like to leave the cellophane on because they think that it will prevent the flavors and oils from permeating into neighboring cigars. I’ve got cigars that have sat in a humidor naked for 25 years, and they haven’t picked up flavors from cigars sitting beside them...

If you want the protection from possible damage of the cellophane and more exposure to the atmosphere of the humidor, cut the cellophane off near the foot of the cigar, where it’s folded over.

Reactions: DAR

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This idea has been batted around in cigar communities since the flood. General consensus is not to do it if you are kind of clumsy. And most guys are.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I would like to hear the reasoning why people who believe cellophane will prevent a humidor from working don't store their cellophane wrapped cigars in the original boxes.

I do the jar of water thing, except I use about 2oz of tap water with half a tbsp of salt in it in a 4oz glass with a small flat scrub pad sticking out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.