[Cigars] Open Glass of Water in the Humidor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
So I've got my Cigars nicely stacked in what appears to be a reasonably well sealed tub with a moisture gauge, but the only way to keep moisture in the 70% range (it's actually sitting at 60% right now) is if I place a shot glass full of distilled water in the tub.
Beyond the possibility of dropping the container and spilling water everywhere (not that it would ruin any cigars as they're all still in wrappers), is it risky keeping water in this form within a humidor?

Is this practically asking for mold or do people commonly leave open containers of water inside the humidor? (Tubidor)

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I'm not sure this is helping your question, but I found the easiest way to store my few cigars is simply in a "tupperdor" - a regular air-tight & food-grade tupperware with a large enough Boveda pack for the cigars contained.

Mind you, I'm not a cigar aficionado in any sense and I almost exclusively smoke pipes. Hence I found that anything else was over-thinking it for me personally and my cigars were "just fine" with the humidity always at 65-69% and the Boveda lasting about 4-6 months before it needed changing. I placed a small hygrometer inside the tupperdor so I can always see what's going on without needing to open it.

Placing open water into a humidor sounds like a mould disaster in the works to me.

017de821b09bcb84db008f4d88e09bd1.jpg
A photo I found on the internet for reference, if that would be something you want. ;)

germinal

Lurker
Mar 18, 2021
Sweden
What kind of tub is it? Maybe better seal or more of the humidifier would be appropriate.

The good things about boveda packs/kitty litter/beads/pg is that they self regulate to a certain humidity, too low they absorb moisture and too high they give off moisture. Water will just evaporate so it will be difficult to control with varying temperatures/pressures, one day it could be 60% and another 100% which will not be great for the cigars. But if closely controlled I don't see an issue per se.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm not sure this is helping your question, but I found the easiest way to store my few cigars is simply in a "tupperdor" - a regular air-tight & food-grade tupperware with a large enough Boveda pack for the cigars contained.

Mind you, I'm not a cigar aficionado in any sense and I almost exclusively smoke pipes. Hence I found that anything else was over-thinking it for me personally and my cigars were "just fine" with the humidity always at 65-69% and the Boveda lasting about 4-6 months before it needed changing. I placed a small hygrometer inside the tupperdor so I can always see what's going on without needing to open it.

Placing open water into a humidor sounds like a mould disaster in the works to me.

View attachment 75650
A photo I found on the internet for reference, if that would be something you want. ;)
These are the best tupperdor: Rubbermaid brilliance

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I've got my Cigars nicely stacked in what appears to be a reasonably well sealed tub with a moisture gauge, but the only way to keep moisture in the 70% range (it's actually sitting at 60% right now) is if I place a shot glass full of distilled water in the tub.
Beyond the possibility of dropping the container and spilling water everywhere (not that it would ruin any cigars as they're all still in wrappers), is it risky keeping water in this form within a humidor?

Is this practically asking for mold or do people commonly leave open containers of water inside the humidor? (Tubidor)
I would say that the tub is not well sealed. What are you using to humidify it? (Besides the shot glass lol)

and you can have open water in a humidor, it’s just ill advised because of spillage and lack of control. When I first was setting up my wineador I put a mason jar with filtered water inside with the bovedas until it was up over the desired humidity then removed the jar. Of course this was with no sticks inside. With cigars in there I’d worry it might creep higher and higher until you’re in mold range.

Mar 1, 2014
I would say that the tub is not well sealed. What are you using to humidify it? (Besides the shot glass lol)

and you can have open water in a humidor, it’s just ill advised because of spillage and lack of control. When I first was setting up my wineador I put a mason jar with filtered water inside with the bovedas until it was up over the desired humidity then removed the jar. Of course this was with no sticks inside. With cigars in there I’d worry it might creep higher and higher until you’re in mold range.
Right that was the unofficial plan, as long as I'm under the rated moisture of the Boveda packs it's better to boost the moisture level with plain water.
I assume that as much as anything the Cigars themselves are probably taking up water, even if the lid isn't a "food grade" seal it has a clamp down mechanism and it's on there tight.

I guess if nothing changes within a month I should assume the container is faulty.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
As an aside, indeed you can re-hydrate the

Right that was the unofficial plan, as long as I'm under the rated moisture of the Boveda packs it's better to boost the moisture level with plain water.
I assume that as much as anything the Cigars themselves are probably taking up water, even if the lid isn't a "food grade" seal it has a clamp down mechanism and it's on there tight.

I guess if nothing changes within a month I should assume the container is faulty.
If it doesn’t have some kind of rubber or foam seal it’s leaking.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've ordered a few tubs with proper seals now.
What kind? The one I got even though I cleaned it out smelled like plastic. It almost ruined a box of sticks but I got them out right away.

that’s why I went the wineador route.
Of course had I not had a wine fridge that came with the house that we don’t use I probably wouldn’t want to spend that kind of money for an unplugged box haha

also moving it into the basement by myself I managed to drop it into the wall and punch a big hole. My wife is pleased. I also pulled like most of the muscles on the left side of my body lol

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I can also recommend a glass tupperdor with just a plastic lid, as there will be almost no weird smell. ;)

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I can also recommend a glass tupperdor with just a plastic lid, as there will be almost no weird smell. ;)
The all plastic Rubbermaid brilliance are great too. No off smells/etc. and doesn’t absorb anything. Problem with glass IMO is it can get so cold it could in theory if you open it in a warmer area cause condensation

Reactions: Ryszard

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
So the water is only a problem if it 1. It isn't distilled 2. Is spilled onto cigars. 3. You live in a humid area and it over humidifies. Dirty water will encourage odors and promotes fungal growth. Equally important and usually overlooked is that cigars actually need minimal airflow and not stagnant conditions to breathe. This is because stagnant air is a increased likelihood of mold. Think of this way. You don't see mold in areas of adequate airflow. You do find mold in humid stagnant areas. Cigars need consistent humidity and temperature, and for me aim on the lower 62 to 65% RH over the 75%. Don't allow them to be over humidified.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So the water is only a problem if it 1. It isn't distilled 2. Is spilled onto cigars. 3. You live in a humid area and it over humidifies. Dirty water will encourage odors and promotes fungal growth. Equally important and usually overlooked is that cigars actually need minimal airflow and not stagnant conditions to breathe. This is because stagnant air is a increased likelihood of mold. Think of this way. You don't see mold in areas of adequate airflow. You do find mold in humid stagnant areas. Cigars need consistent humidity and temperature, and for me aim on the lower 62 to 65% RH over the 75%. Don't allow them to be over humidified.
65/65 is where my wineador stays. May drop to 60 if I keep the door open.

Reactions: JOHN72

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
What kind? The one I got even though I cleaned it out smelled like plastic. It almost ruined a box of sticks but I got them out right away.

that’s why I went the wineador route.
Of course had I not had a wine fridge that came with the house that we don’t use I probably wouldn’t want to spend that kind of money for an unplugged box haha

also moving it into the basement by myself I managed to drop it into the wall and punch a big hole. My wife is pleased. I also pulled like most of the muscles on the left side of my body lol
After washing your new plastic humidor, set it out in the sun for a day or 2. Miracles.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California

If your cigars are still in their wrappers, they are not getting much benefit from any amount of humidity you put in there.

Mar 1, 2014
If your cigars are still in their wrappers, they are not getting much benefit from any amount of humidity you put in there.
If they can dry out in the wrappers it can work the other way too.
Most of them are "probably" going to be over five years old before I get around to them.

Reactions: rajangan
Status
Not open for further replies.