PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Lately I find myself sitting down for an evening cigar, only to find halfway through that I don’t have time to fully and slowly enjoy one (I have a 5 month old!). I’ve been eyeing up cigarillo/coronet sized versions of well-known sticks as a speedier alternative to full cigars. Anyone ever tried these? I’d be interested to hear how they compare to their full-sized counterparts in terms of flavor and overall satisfaction after smoking one.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Lately I find myself sitting down for an evening cigar, only to find halfway through that I don’t have time to fully and slowly enjoy one (I have a 5 month old!). I’ve been eyeing up cigarillo/coronet sized versions of well-known sticks as a speedier alternative to full cigars. Anyone ever tried these? I’d be interested to hear how they compare to their full-sized counterparts in terms of flavor and overall satisfaction after smoking one.
The Arturo fuente cigarillos are extremely tasty. While it is short filler, the wrappers are aged 10 years. I believe they’re around $20 for 10, and 30 minute smoke.

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I find most cigarillos disappointing. You used to be able to get a pretty good larger gauge Dannemann, but now all I see are Moods which are garbage, imo. Mehari Brazils aren't bad. Toscano are good but don't really classify as cigarillos. I find the whole leaf, roll your own to be really good. My go to would be Habano 2000 wrapper and binder, (1/4 leaf each) with 1 to 1,1/2 destemmed criollo 98 viso or corojo ligero for filler.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m a fan of the tins of 5 or 10 cigars. Cohiba Red Dot, Oliva G, and some of the Acids are a nice change in small doses. Smoked slowly you can enjoy 1/2 hour or more. Also, the Charter Oak Rothschilds are great. There are quite a few 4.5 x 50 cigars that could work you.
I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on some charter oak maduros a few times lately, and I do really enjoy Rothschilds.

Reactions: weezell

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Slightly off topic but in a similar vane but have any of you lot ever smoked Burma Cheroots? You used to be able to buy them in the U.K thirty odd years ago from the tobacconist Thurgood on London Wall and they were sold in bundles of 20 tied up with some sort of reed string. They were a beltingly good smoke, strong and just a bit longer than a U.S filtered cigarette.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I really enjoy the Meharis Brazils myself and have heard good things about the Orientals. I just bought a box of those and haven't tried them yet, they smell wonderful! They're great for a short smoke, I enjoy them on a short car ride when it's nice out.

They fit the bill of what you're looking for, just a matter of finding some that you like!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought a sampler of "dog walker" cigars from Iwan Ries, a dozen of assorted brands, that I am smoking the first of each month this year. These are thicker than cigarillos, but very small. I've enjoyed them, and they are about all the cigar I need, though I have a five pack of fuller sized cigars on hand. So far I've had a Punch, a Romeo Y Julieta, and a couple of others. Pretty good.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
like everything in this world they are what they are. I am a fan but smaller ring gauges means less room to blend in different filler tobacco. So they'll never be as complex as a larger cigar can. If you're looking for more nicotine then most of them have the Semois ones are satisfying on that level. But they're just not the same. And I think the real thing to keep in mind is you pay for what you get and compare the prices of these to their larger more traditional cigars of the same brands. You know what buy a freaking little tin of them try them at worst you'll be out a little bit of cash. Or like has been pointed out you could buy a smaller pipe.
Last option is you could trade the kid for some cigars. It's an option a probably illegal option and morally pretty far down the road of shady town. Though it's an option.

• Haha
Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a big list to sample in the future! I ended up grabbing some online to try. After going deep down the rabbit hole today while I had time to kill in between jobs I decided on… Avanti Anisette. Don’t kill me, guys ? the name brand Fuente and the like are next on the list to try. For some stupid reason I just got obsessed with the idea of the anisettes. I thought something different than a traditional cigar would satisfy without making me yearn for a full real cigar instead. I’m sure I’ll probably end up regretting it ?‍♂️