PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Billy Budd, maybe you like it........................
Yes, this is my favorite with cigar leaf that I’ve tried. Sometimes Billy Budd is just perfect, spicy, bold yet smooth, satisfying and complex.

As many have stated, don’t think that these cigar pipe tobacco blends are going to taste like a cigar. Many cigar smokers that switched over to the pipe enjoy VaPers & straight Virginias. A good starting point would be something full bodied, which is where Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd comes in.

Semois is another one worth trying.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Hello folks, my first post here. I want to give pipe smoking a try; however, I don’t know where to start on tobacco brands, types, etc. I love full-bodied cigars and looking for a recommendation for pipe tobacco that fits into that category. To give the cigar/pipe smokers an idea of what I am looking for in pipe tobacco, I usually smoke Oliva Serie V, Punch Diablo, CAO Brazilia. I appreciate any help in my search. Based on my research in this forum, I will get a MM Cobb to start as my first pipe.

Since hitting the pipe, my cigars are neglected. I enjoyed strong cigars, so I’m not sure if the flavor will be in your wheelhouse, but others have suggested the Warped line. I agree with that suggestion and specifically recommend starting with Cloud Hopper. I’ve looked at other cigar blends and they include Latakia…and, IMO, there are enough English/Balkan blends that incorporate that leaf it isn’t necessary for a good cigar blend. A super strong ligero might be comparable if you mix with a Kentucky Fire cured like a MUWAT that has the campfire essence happening.

Cloud Hopper falls into the creamy/spice category for me. Not so much as a pepper spice like a La Bomba 601…but, maybe the tingle you get and is accompanied by what I recall a a Blue Label, or Original, Don Pepin Garcia provided…but the cloud Hopper is more pronounced to the senses. Perhaps my experience is different than yours with flavor profiles, but those are the things I remember. One other stick that comes to mind is the Patel Edge Corojo…early in the smoking experience with them I got a really nice creamy/spice that was more along baking spices that would compliment deserts.

But, Cloud Hopper made me go scope out my cigar stash…and, I’ve got a nice selection I plan to smoke over the next few months. Sky Flower, Padron, Herrera Esteli, Four Kicks (that’s another resemblance from the spice aspect), Casa Cuba Flor Fina (another similar profile thing going on), Jericho Hill, My Father… Flor Des Las Antilles, … actually, forget the list. PM me, happy to share about my experience between cigars and pipes.

Last thing I’ll share. Virginia pipe tobacco is very similar to Cuban cigars…at least IMO. Big following, everyone wants to get it and they each seem to get better with age and the flavor profiles require experience and technique to pick-up because they are subtle in many cases. And the most important - GO SLOW! It’s a sipping game, not a smoking game. Not sure if anyone agrees, but I do think one of a few parallels if there actually are.

Mar 1, 2014
Hello folks, my first post here. I want to give pipe smoking a try; however, I don’t know where to start on tobacco brands, types, etc. I love full-bodied cigars and looking for a recommendation for pipe tobacco that fits into that category. To give the cigar/pipe smokers an idea of what I am looking for in pipe tobacco, I usually smoke Oliva Serie V, Punch Diablo, CAO Brazilia. I appreciate any help in my search. Based on my research in this forum, I will get a MM Cobb to start as my first pipe.
My opinion is if you're going to explore pipes you may as well set out on the full expedition.

Latakia
Orientals
Dark Fired Kentucky
Virginia/Perique

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Vincent Manil’s blends you will definitely want to try, and no one should argue about Vincent... LOL ?

On a side note of history too, Vincent grows his own tobacco in Belgium, one of the very few artisan craftsman in the world.

Mdutson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2021
Houston TX
Dark Fire Kentucky always reminds me of half way thru a cigar. The way it sits on your tongue. I’d try that and see where it take you.

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
There is a lot of fantastic suggestions here. I like a blend now and then with some cigar leaf and been smoking Sailor Jack from Wilke.
I am really need to order some Billy Budd. So many have suggested it.

btsteve

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2015
Sellersburg, Indiana
I did the same years ago and could never replicate cigar taste with pipe tobacco. Although I think some of the cigar blends have some of that flavor. I found that pipe tobacco is much different and there is much more to explore, IMO.

If you like any of the Kentucky Dark fired cigars like the ones from Drew Estate try a blend like Old Dark fired.
If you want some of the cigar flavor a cigar leaf blend would be worth a try. I like Seersucker
English blends with Latakia may satisfy the bold and smoky flavor you may be looking for. Nightcap?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think smoking cigars is like eating at a restaurant. The menu offers a variety (of cigars) and you order what you enjoy. Pipes are more like cooking at home. You have a lot of control over choosing and packing, and even mixing if you fancy it. You can even add cigar leaf available as a condiment by C&D and others. Cigar leaf does not provide a cigar smoking experience, but gives a pleasing accent if mixed thoughtfully.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
There is also nothing wrong with chopping up one of your favorite cigars and smoking it in a pipe.
I am not certain you’re going to get the results you’re looking for by doing this. Seems like it would change the flavor profile because you aren’t necessarily getting the same wrapper, binder and filler ratio after chopping. ?‍♂️

Reactions: Zapasta

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I am not certain you’re going to get the results you’re looking for by doing this. Seems like it would change the flavor profile because you aren’t necessarily getting the same wrapper, binder and filler ratio after chopping. ?‍♂️
I did this once before and severely regretted it. It was an outstanding cigar I chopped up, though it was a few years ago so I don't remember which one it was...and it tasted horrid. That's just my experience, however.

Reactions: JKoD

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I would try GL Pease's Robusto and/or Key Largo. They are both cigar leaf pipe blends I enjoy. I find that Robusto is more robust (shocking right?), though somewhat straightforward, where as Key Largo is more mild, but very nuanced and interesting with its flavors. I have also smoked Habana Daydream and Billy Budd, but they are rather mediocre and boring to my taste.

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
For what it’s worth (probably not that much ?). I was a long, long time cigar smoker; Cuban, Nicaraguan, before I first ventured into the world of pipes. I really wouldn’t bother trying to find that same taste, instead explore the incredible range of varieties of pipe tobacco!

Reactions: JKoD