PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, Jeesh!! Yes, we have sand in us, maybe not mostly, but we do have silica in our bodies. My exaggeration was just that, an exaggeration. Yes, there is mostly carbon.
As for clay being silica. Ummm, when I mix clay, the main ingredient is silica. Yes, there is other stuff that we add to make the clay have different properties, but clay is fired into ceramics by making the silica particles fuse with heat. I didn't set through four years of ceramic chemistry for nothing, well...
Now, can you eat those little packets? Hell yeh!! But, it's probably worse for your teeth than your health. There is sand in all forms of our foods. This is how the silica gets into our bodies. Why those packets say that you cannot eat it, I have no idea. Breathing it is way worse for you than eating. My recommendation is to eat every one of those packages that you see... just to spite those stupid companies that make them.
Ha ha

Anyways, be informed - MSDS - I know, I know, these are merely legal documents, but notice they say nothing about the dangers of eating it. Heck, anyone who has fallen on the beach has eaten the stuff.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
UPDATE:

I have done some extensive research into humidor builders and suppliers. I figured out the problem with my humidor. It is the humidor itself. It has a poor seal and a flaw in construction of the sealing lip on the lid. I purchased another one today made by a reputable manufacturer. It's a Churchill size with a glass lid. It's made from solid Spanish Cedar throught. I'm in the process of seasoning it and hopefully it's ready by end of the week.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments. I'm mew to storing cigars and all the research I've done on all the little tidbits of info helped a lot.

Happy smoking everyone!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Glad you got the problem nipped. I sell quite a few humidors in our shop and I've learned this about PG. It is out there because it evaporates at a much slower rate than distilled water. It will permeate into your cigars, whether or not it'll trigger your level of sensitivity is beyond my pay grade but I'd think it would. The clay type humidi-stones can absorb an incredible amount of distilled water and I'd highly recommend that product for your new box. The stones absorb 6-8 their own weight in liquid and last a long time.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I sell quite a few humidors in our shop...
And do you have a website for orders or do phone orders?? I'm still looking for a quality humidor (preferably with 'SureSeal')

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.canadahumidor.com/medium_humidors/the_tuscany_100_light_burl/
You might want to shop within Canada, the exchange rate plus shipping will kill you. Shipping was 50$ roughly american for my humidor, you can order them here in Canadian funds with a 10$ shipping charge anywhere in Canada.
http://www.canadahumidor.com/medium_humidors/the_milano_75_dark_cherry/ This is the one I have and it would of been cheaper to of bought it at this place then where I did as the shipping plus exchange rate. It's done me well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.