PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I know there's quite a few guys here that smoke cigars as well as pipes. I didn't want to have to join another forum just to ask a couple cigar questions so I thought I'd try here first. Here's my situation:

I have a BAD sensitivity to PG (Propylene Glycol), so bad in fact I had small blisters (or burns as the doc said) form on my tongue and cheeks after smoking particular blends of baccy in my pipe. I try to avoid PG all together or smoke blends with very little in them.

I recently obtained a decent sized humidor (50-75 ct) and I've been having issues with my RH and using the green foam that came with it. I've done some extensive research into the little jars with those jelly crystals of PG that use a 50/50 solution of PG and distilled water or straight up distilled water. It's been a week and I still cant find what I'm looking for. What I'm trying to fin out is if the PG in those jars and crystals/solution evaporates into the cigars (like some forums and sites say it does into the wood inside the humidor). I'm asking because I've just spent close to $500 on cigars and do not want them to be unsmokeable for me.

So any cigar smokers out there that could help direct me to some answers or have answers themselves would be great.

I'm not new to smoking or selecting cigars, just new to storing them At home for myself. I didn't want to have to run to the store(s) every week or two just for a half dozen cigars, and besides, it's cheaper to buy them by the box rather than in singles.

Hope someone has some info for me. Cheers!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Cavendish,
I have a pretty high sensitivity to PG as well. Not as sever as yours but it does cause a high amount of physical discomfort if I smoke an aro or infused cigar. Personally I wouldn't take the chance with those jars. Heartfelt Industries carries a polymer bead used for regulating humidity in a humidor and these beads DON'T use propylene glycol. I would suggest giving these a look. Unscented kitty litter is another route some take, and are happy with but the polymer beads are nice because they are a two-way regulator. They release moisture when RH drops too low and they take up excess moisture when RH gets too high. Certainly not the cheapest product out there but they won't break the bank and might be exactly what you are looking for in a non-PG solution.
Heartfelt Industries

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
as far as i know the PG in the crystals and "cigar juice" is just a humidity enhancer. It more or less keeps moisture in, and with a good seal on your humidor it shouldnt be an issue. As far as an asnwer as to it leeching into the cigars, no it doesnt do that as it doesnt evaporate. If it did, well they would be poisonous cigars. Worse comes to worse, just leave a small sponge or green planters foam in a corner and soak it with distilled water, that should keep the humidity around 70 degrees F like you want it, but without any chances of PG. Hope that helps a little.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for the info guys!
Torque, I've read about the beads. They're made of silica similar to those in kitty litter. Silica is poisionous if inhaled or eaten (from what I've always been told) so I would probably avoid them for myself.
I did read some info after posting this thread that PG doesn't evaporate, it breaks down into simple sugars and becomes inert. It dies out after about a yr of use and most of the company's that sell these products (Brigham included) all claim they're safe to use..

Silicate is sand. Those packets in new computer product say don't eat, but I eat them anyways, just out if spite. Breathing vaporized sand is a whole other ball game. But, no one has ever died from eating a little silicate (sand), now eating a whole bunch of sand might be a different ball game as well.

But, the human body is mostly silicate anyways; as the story goes, we are made of clay (which is mostly very fine sand also).

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've been using the silica beads for over ten years with good results. Pour a little distilled water on them and that's it. The commercial beads have a RH set point. The Kitty Litter, made of similar (maybe the same) components does not. But I use that too and it works pretty well.
Here's a thread from 2006 when I did some tests on the Kitty Litter.
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/showthread.php?t=111508

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Did you properly season the humidor first? I have a 100 count and haven't had any problems just using distilled water and the puck that came with the humidor. Remember it doesn't have to be 70% on the dot, anywhere between 65-70% is good, some people like it lower than 65.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I did properly season it. I forgot to mention that in my OP. Before I put a box of MC #4 in there and half box of R&J Coronitas en Cedro couple Upmann Mag 50's the humidity was at 72 for two days empty. The morning after I put the cigars in it dropped to 55%. The gel is helping keep it moist and I'm smoking one of the H. Upmann Mag 50's as I type this out, so far everything is fine.

I have been researching the gel that is in my particular humidifier and it is made from a specific polymer that regulates a 70% RH in humidors. It isn't made from PG but it does have some in it. It will not evaporate or leave any residue on the box or the cigars. It's chemical make up only allows the transfer of water out (not both ways like the beads) and not it's own chemical makeup. Took some time and bouncing around in some old cigar forums but I found the info I was looking for. Thanks again for additional info everyone.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
But, the human body is mostly silicate anyways
Actually ... we are Carbon based life forms with Oxygen being the bulk of the mass due to water:
"Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium. All are necessary to life. The remaining elements are trace elements, of which more than a dozen are thought to be necessary for life, or play a role in good health (e.g., fluorine, which hardens dental enamel but seems to have no other function)."
As for humidors ... I went to coolers / tupperware and never looked back.

Here in Arid-Zona, keeping the RH I want has been 10x easier this way.

Also, I use only DI / RO water ... no additives.

Good luck with your sticks! :)

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Silicate is sand. Those packets in new computer product say don't eat, but I eat them anyways, just out if spite. Breathing vaporized sand is a whole other ball game. But, no one has ever died from eating a little silicate (sand), now eating a whole bunch of sand might be a different ball game as well.

But, the human body is mostly silicate anyways; as the story goes, we are made of clay (which is mostly very fine sand also).
Hold the phone!! Sorry cosmic, but as a Geologist I can't agree with most of this. Silicate is not the same as sand. It is a compound. The great majority of silicates are oxides, but hexafluorosilicate and other anions are also included. I would not recommend eating it, but I doubt it will kill you immediately, unless you eat it every day. Clay is also not mostly sand, but rather soils that have broke down and includes metal oxides and oranic matter. And lord knows we are NOT made of silicon, or silicates, not even a trace, but rather mostly oxygen, and carbon. Didn't you see Star Trek The Movie? We are carbon based units, we are not computers made of silicon. Sorry man, I respect the hell out of everything you say about pipes, but can't allow that to go unsaid.
Now, carry on with yall's cigar chit!

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I also use Hearfelt beads after using many other products and truthfully they are the best. This is my Wineador and I have 1 pound of Heartfelt Beads spread out to manage the humidity. It keeps it between 69 and 71 constantly.

20150411_175955-600x337.jpg

20150411_180129-600x337.jpg

20150411_180110-600x337.jpg

I also use these beads in my other 2 Desktop Humidors which are a 75 ct and 150 ct.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If it went from 72 to 55 the day after putting your cigars in then the cigars must of been on the dry side. I seasoned my humidor by putting a shot glass full of water inside it for about a week, then the first week I had to recharge the puck a lot as it went down to about 65, but after about 2-3 weeks of having the cigars in and keeping an eye on the puck being charged my humi is holding 70 like a boss. I'd say just be a bit more patient, it's not a very big humi and just distilled water should be fine in my opinion once you've gotten it fully seasoned after about a month.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Very helpful info from everyone, thanks a bunch!

Yes the cigars were quite dry, crackling when I rolled them between my fingers. The humidor at the shop is only 60% and I doubt it's accurate.
With all the talk about the beads I'm really leaning towards those for replacing the green foarm in the bar humidifier that is in the lid. I checked it this morning and it was 63% so it is climbing. I quickly rotated the cigars and closed it back up.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Do a calibration test on your hygrometer, I thought the same thing(it would be off) but it's dead on. I find it's more when you're getting into big humidors you need to start bringing this other stuff in.
http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer
It's even easier if you just use a tupperware container with a good seal, I just used one with a see through lid and it read 75% on the dot.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Heartfelt beads do work well, but are expensive. I use kitty litter with distilled water. Just buy some non-scented silica cat litter, put a small amount in a tupperware container and fill about half full with some distilled water. I've been using this method for several years and my cigars stay about 67% RH which is perfect for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Ok I see the kitty litter thing now, I thought you guys meant just regular kitty litter......
I wouldn't worry about rotating the cigars either until you've established your humidity levels, plus most people say once every 3 months is enough for rotation. Personally I don't bother rotating my cigars as alot of people say they'll end up ripping a cigar by accident or doing some other kind of damage while rotating, as I keep my cigars naked. I find it's more in really big humidors you have to rotate as you'll have bigger differences in rh levels. Having a 100 count humi I've never bothered doing it.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm definitely getting myself some beads or the jelly stuff. They are basically the same product but the jelly is only one way humidification which would be fine for my humi.
Thanks again for all the input guys, saved me from making another forum acct..

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I haven't had any luck with the beads. I was using xikar and could never get my humidor to make use of it. I just ended up rotating rehydrated Boveda packs. I have four and I keep the unused ones after they've dried out in an airtight Tupperware box with a sponge soaked in distiller water. After about a week the Boveda packs are plump again.

Status
Not open for further replies.