PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I have a great Northern Briars chruchwarden and a Savinelli, but I don't smoke it very often. The problem with driving with it, is that you have to hold it. That ties up one hand, with a precarious thing... whereas when I drive, I prefer to just clench it leaving both hands available to drive and focus on the road. Clenching a churchwarden... well... I want pictures, ha ha.
Kinda like trying to play a clarinet one handed while driving. ?

Police officer: Why were you swerving back there?

Me: Pulls out a 14 inch Churchwarden...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My avatar has me pictured with my first churchwarden my wife gave me for Christmas in about 2014. I never would have bought this for myself (nor my Oom-Paul) but it has become a great pipe for me, sitting down reading or in repose. It's not a clencher nor for walking around, but seated it, with elbow on the armrest, it is perfect. I now have a smaller, shorter one, and several longer stemmed pipes that aren't quite churchwardens.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have probably 10 or so churchwardens. My favorite is this Savinelli Qandale:

img_20191007_214538183-jpg.4370

I find them relaxing and enjoyable though I'm probably backwards of most people. I have other small clenchable pipes that are specifically for when I want to smoke while performing some task, which isn't that often. For me it's about sitting down and doing nothing else, except maybe listening to a good ghost story and sipping a nice beverage, and enjoying the experience.

Plutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2020
Shropshire, UK
I have a great Northern Briars chruchwarden and a Savinelli, but I don't smoke it very often. The problem with driving with it, is that you have to hold it. That ties up one hand, with a precarious thing... whereas when I drive, I prefer to just clench it leaving both hands available to drive and focus on the road. Clenching a churchwarden... well... I want pictures, ha ha.

Imagining myself churchwarden in hand, smartphone in hand, posing for a picture behind the wheel of a moving vehicle... even I can see how badly that is going to end!

I think I'll probably light that cobwarden up at the start of my drive and swap the stem out for a danish bit before I reach the road!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Darn! It seems that few Brits on this board follow the Premiership. My son got me involved with the Spurs, so I've become rabid, esp with developments over the last month. (For non-fans, a lot of good signings/trades/loans, and hence hope for a very good season.)

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
My avatar has me pictured with my first churchwarden my wife gave me for Christmas in about 2014. I never would have bought this for myself (nor my Oom-Paul) but it has become a great pipe for me, sitting down reading or in repose. It's not a clencher nor for walking around, but seated it, with elbow on the armrest, it is perfect. I now have a smaller, shorter one, and several longer stemmed pipes that aren't quite churchwardens.
You've described my thought of smoking a churchwarden perfectly.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I have probably 10 or so churchwardens. My favorite is this Savinelli Qandale:

img_20191007_214538183-jpg.4370

I find them relaxing and enjoyable though I'm probably backwards of most people. I have other small clenchable pipes that are specifically for when I want to smoke while performing some task, which isn't that often. For me it's about sitting down and doing nothing else, except maybe listening to a good ghost story and sipping a nice beverage, and enjoying the experience.
That's a nice looking pipe. Not to terribly long either.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's a beast!
I should show you my second meer. It's equally impressive and beastly actually slightly more beasty considering it's got a mythical horse on it. As far as your question... Get a Churchwarden at this point it's obvious you're going to buy one, just pick one you really like. Nothing wrong with a smoke at home pipe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Tut-tut. I've always said that if one can't drive one-handed, one shouldn't be driving. Me, it's all left-handed. ;)

Only issue with holding them and driving is shifting gears: the tobacco swirls in the bowl and the cherry goes out, which requires another darn relight.

Careful if you clench and drive and your car has an air bag. Someone mentioned here some time ago that people don't look at all nice with a pipe stuck in their throat after a collision. ☠

Tut-tut. I've always said that if one can't drive one-handed, one shouldn't be driving. Me, it's all left-handed. ;)

Only issue with holding them and driving is shifting gears: the tobacco swirls in the bowl and the cherry goes out, which requires another darn relight.

Careful if you clench and drive and your car has an air bag. Someone mentioned here some time ago that people don't look at all nice with a pipe stuck in their throat after a collision. ☠
I never let the pipe hang directly out of the front of my face like a duck bill. Mine is always at the side, where the airbag will just knock it out of my clench.

I'm finding smoking much more enjoyable without teeth.rotf
I'll take your word on it. I am the oldest of my family who has managed to keep all of my choppers. I've barely had any dental work done at all. I have no idea how I managed to luck out like that. Maybe... brushing, but of course that can't mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.