PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought I could fool a few of you with pictures of my new pipe and then when everyone said how wonderful it was, I could dramatically pull the curtain back and declare that it was, in fact, an IDEA pipe.

For those who don't know / remember, IDEA pipes seem to be placed in that middle ground of Chinese pipes. Not the $3 AliExpress pipes, not the artisanal hand carved pieces.

I couldn't resist putting one to the test. How would it fare against its cheaper aliexpress cousin?

This pipe cost me $0 after shipping. It was sent fairly quickly and without issue. I can't seem to find it on their website, but its probably retailing for $30ish.

I plan on subjecting this pipe to the same tests as the other one socwe can finally answer the age old question: Is a free pipe better than a $3 pipe?

Some history:
AliExpress Pipe Thread

Some observations before we begin:
-the stem fitment on the shank is seamless to my eyes
-the drilling of the airway seems to be off substantially
-a burlap sack as a pipe bag is interesting
Some before pictures:

P_20210119_155813.jpgP_20210119_155829.jpgP_20210119_155906.jpgP_20210119_155915.jpgP_20210119_155946.jpgP_20210119_155957.jpg

Last edited:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
That is test 2! Oh, and it is more like this:

0546502_1

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The drilling does look off.
Not necessarily. Drilling the draught hole at 12 o'clock or even 6 o'clock is common practice in filtered pipes. The 'hole must be dead centre' is mythical nonsense. The important thing (the 'right or wrong' thing) is that the hole be flush with the bottom of the chamber and well centered therein.

Vauens' (9 mm filter):

Vauens_draught_holes.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I bought an inexpensive (under $20 I think) Chinese made Roadhouse pipe about a year ago, maybe a bit longer, I can’t remember exactly.

My expectations were low but the construction and finishing were quite nice and the drilling was bang on the money. It seemed to be a nice pipe.

I smoked the hell out of it for months and enjoyed it well enough. It was developing a thin layer of cake and all was going fine until one day I noticed a small crack at the base of the stummel where it met the shank. Next time I smoked it the crack opened up and it started seeping moisture. It went in the garbage can that evening.

Wasn’t a bad experiment and I suspect the briar was not completely cured or properly dried before it was finished and sold but I’m not sure.

Good luck with your torture tests. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I plan on subjecting this pipe to the same tests as the other one socwe can finally answer the age old question: Is a free pipe better than a $3 pipe?

I'm already looking forward to the tests.?

It briefly occurred to me to use another pipe as a comparison group, which is generally considered decent, but is much more expensive. But I'm not sure if @chasingembers would provide his Dunhill for this. With regard to the bores, that would be a good idea.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

It briefly occurred to me to use another pipe as a comparison group, which is generally considered decent, but is much more expensive. But I'm not sure if @chasingembers would provide his Dunhill for this. With regard to the bores, that would be a good idea.
Even a cob would be an interesting comparison and in same price range.

Reactions: Kottan

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Not necessarily. Drilling the draught hole at 12 o'clock or even 6 o'clock is common practice in filtered pipes. The 'hole must be dead centre' is mythical nonsense. The important thing (the 'right or wrong' thing) is that the hole be flush with the bottom of the chamber and well centered therein.

Vauens' (9 mm filter):

View attachment 61088
The drilling is perfect where does it enter the chamber ?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The drilling is perfect where does it enter the chamber ?
I didn't take pics of that... actually... yeah, I do have one, I think:

Vauen_Basic_Bowl.jpg

The hole enters the chamber a wee bit to the side, so this one's drilling is indeed 'off'. It doesn't affect smoking, though.

I've no pics of the Quixx's chamber, but the hole doesn't enter said chamber above the heel, so it's OK.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even a cob would be an interesting comparison and in same price range.
Not in all cases. rotf
20180224_002736.jpg

You are right, Ahi but in this case you wouldn't compare briar and briar ... if Mike's pipe is real briar.
Material never affected the smoke for me. The airway is all that has ever differentiated one pipe from another. If the IDEA pipe has any turbulence in the draw, a cleanly drilled airway would win.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
The drilling does look off.

Not necessarily. Drilling the draught hole at 12 o'clock or even 6 o'clock is common practice in filtered pipes.

The hole is probably at the 1 o'clock position, which is certainly not dead center, but not quite where I would expect it to be for a filtered pipe. I didn't mention that it takes a 9mm filter.

Putting the popcorn on. Can’t wait for this thread. My ones still in the mail, but heat gun is ready.

I didn't know that you got one as well, same style?

I thought you would.

it's also s'posedly from Italy, based on the stamp
I don't have that much faith in the stamping for sure.

Old Savinelli Capri bags were of a similar material.

A Capri is kind of a rough looking pipe right? I can see how the coarse sock would match it. This one has a smooth finish so i thought it was a bit odd. The idea of the sock is to protect the pipe from scratches, yet it is a scratchy material?

Good luck with your torture tests. It will be interesting to see what happens.

As @scloyd posted in another thread, here is my lab:

1611086067377.png

Status
Not open for further replies.