PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Smoking pipes has a couple of Tsuge pipes on sale for $35. I would get one of those. To be honest and go against the grain here, I didn't enjoy a cob until I got an older one which had a tighter draw and a more substantial stem.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Smoking pipes has a couple of Tsuge pipes on sale for $35. I would get one of those. To be honest and go against the grain here, I didn't enjoy a cob until I got an older one which had a tighter draw and a more substantial stem.

Agreed. They also have a nice Morgan's Bones estate for $35

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
+1 for the Missouri Meerschaum cobs. Impossible to beat the value, especially if you haven’t decided whether pipes are your thing yet.

Griffith

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
I've made the decision to go with a Missouri Meerschaum as my first pipe. I will use it faithfully for a pretty long while, then I will give a much larger investment for the next one.

Trying to decide between 3: The Country Gentleman, the Diplomat, and the Cobbit Dwarf. One of my friends told me he thinks I would enjoy the Diplomat more, but I have no idea.

Going with cobs because

1: Majority Rules
2. $10 isn't much if I don't like the pipe. Chances are, I'll like any of them. I'm not picky.

Which one would ya'll choose out of the 3?

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I’d avoid the Cobbit as an only pipe just because the longer stem is a bit unwieldy. I love my Cobbit Wizard, but not as a main pipe. The Country Gent has a good-sized bowl and their wood plug at the bottom. I have a couple in my cob basket, and they’re solid smokers.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I think you made a wise choice in going with a cob. They are very forgiving when you're first starting out and well worth the small investment. I have a country gentleman that is a great smoker but just a tad heavy for clenching. Though I don't have a cobbit dwarf, I imagine their bowls are on the small side which is nice for a quick smaoke. I have a feeling that the diplomat will serve you well. Best of luck and welcome to the world of pipe smoking.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
Trying to decide between 3: The Country Gentleman, the Diplomat, and the Cobbit Dwarf. One of my friends told me he thinks I would enjoy the Diplomat more, but I have no idea.
Which one would ya'll choose out of the 3?

The cobbit Dwarf doesn't hold very much baccy and is about a 10 minute smoke. I vote Country Gentleman. Looks nice and hold a good amount of baccy. All MM cobs get better with each smoke.

Reactions: desrtrat68

Griffith

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
What difference does shape make? I'm probably heading with the Diplomat, (I'm sure I'll get the Country Gentleman later on), but there are two bowl shapes: Barrel, and Apple. I'm not sure which to choose.

To me, the Apple looks slightly better, but the Barrel looks like it could hold the tobacco in easier

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I like my Country Gentleman bent and straight. So my vote. Haven't smoked the others as I'm fairly new to the hobby.

To muddy the waters consider 2 or 3 right away if you intend to try a bunch of different types of tobacco blends. Perhaps one for Latakia / English type blends and/or one just for heavy aromatics. I'm admittedly lazy about cleaning my budget pipes so I don't even do English type blends in a cob. There are other thoughts on it of course by far more experienced than me (about everyone here) and if you search old threads.

Regardless, enjoy your piping journey.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never tried cob pipes. It's like beer. First sip and I knew I liked it. I think I was 3. So went with briar and started with Morgan bones. But if I didn't know I would like it, I would have gone with cob pipes also.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
ive got 7 petersens and they should last a lifetime... if youre not sure you will stick with pipe smoking det a couple corn cobs to start but i love smoking out of my briars

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I would vote for the cob i own a diplomat that i love but it is a bit heavy if you are a clincher. The devil cutty is another great one. my first was the legend it is a great pipe

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd say get which ever looks nicest too you. With the cobs that is. I agree not to get the cobbit if it's the only one. As it won't fit in a pocket or something like that. But how shapes effect smoke is something full of debate and conjuncture and honestly how one feels about it might make the biggest difference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Missouri Meerschaum cob would be a good bet for an inexpensive pipe but I'd recommend spending the 25 bucks or so on one of the special edition pipes with the acrylic stems that don't chew through and have to be continually replaced. The cob part may last you years or decades. To find the acrylic stem pipes, go to the MM site listed with sponsors to the left of Forums. MM cobs are easy to smoke and maintain. Actually, the Dr. Grabow Royalton series is just under 40 bucks, but could last a lifetime; they are briar and the Royalton series also has an acrylic stem. I'd start with the MM cob and add the Dr. Grabow Royalton later, once he have the smoking technique down, and you can smoke them in rotation.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
I started out buying a Cobbit Elf and a MM Hardwood Ozark. The two together were not that much, and I liked having two pipes to alternate between. I love the Cobbit Elf, It is a little long, but I appreciate the aesthetic and like the longer churchwarden stem it is very comfortable to smoke.

IMG_5484.HEIC.jpeg