Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Griffith

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
Someone suggested a Dr. Grabow pipe to me, however it is out of my price range. I would prefer a pipe below $40 just as a beginner pipe, so I can see what I like and don't like while I work to a higher income.

There are two pipes of interest for me right off the bat:

Crown Manola

and Brigham System Brown Sandblast

No idea if they are quality. The reviews are great, much better than Dr. Grabow's cheaper options. They are 6" as well, which is a bonus over 4". I also prefer bent.

Are either of these pipes any good? If not, any suggestions?

Jun 23, 2019
I would echo the endorsements for corn cobs as well: Missouri Meerschaum offer a diverse variety of shapes, or Old Dominions if you're fancy.

On the other hand, if you're briar-oriented, maybe something like a Morgan Bones can be a good place to start.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have several Crowns, including a Manola. They're not bad. Kinda heavy briar and the stems are hard plastic, but they're drilled fine and have good sized chambers. Of the four I have, 1 smokes better than most of my more expensive pipes. They're basically an Italian factory made basket-pipe line. When they go on sale they're just a few bucks more than a cob and less than a cob+forever stem combo.

Reactions: BROBS

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Cob--unless you fall in love with the pipe, you won't get a more pleasurable return on investment within your price range

Missouri Meerschaum to be exact.

Reactions: BROBS

Griffith

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
In my opinion, corncob pipes are the way to go. Best smoke for the buck by far.
I'm looking at corncob pipes right now, what is the difference between corncob pipes and other pipes? They all look fairly similar to me, besides texture and color.

Griffith

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
Ah, I see. It's the shape, duh.

What makes corncob better than say, Billiard or Sitter? I like those looks a lot as well.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm unsure you can get a bent cob. If you can accommodate to a straight the best answer is a cob. It will hold up well and will far more than justify its price.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
As inexpensive briars go, Crown pipes aren't bad for the price. I have 3 Crown pipes and they smoke just as good as my Dr. Grabows. I have to agree with others that cobs can't be beat. I have close to 50 cobs and there's not a bad one in the herd.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Ah, I see. It's the shape, duh.

What makes corncob better than say, Billiard or Sitter? I like those looks a lot as well.
A corn cob is literally a pipe made out of a corn cob, so it's a different material than briar. They can still come in different shapes similar to briar pipes.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
In my experience, pipe chooses you...
And I am not saying that to be snarky, (for a change), but to me most pipes smoke pretty well, cheap ones and expensive ones. Cobs do tend to give you an uncolored impression of the tobacco flavors (meers as well), although I have problems smoking them all the way to the bottom. Pricey handmade pipes should always be technically correct and therefore smoke quite well, there are also exceptions to that rule as well. So, back to my original comment, if a pipe speaks to you (and it's in your price range) try it out.

I have $ pipes and $$ pipes and I like them all. The cheap ones I tend to use outdoors, that's really the only (functional) difference to me.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
My sense of things is that, with briar pipes, you get what you pay for. With cobs, you get way more in the way of a pipe than the dollars spent.

Now, having said that, my first pipe was a Dr. Grabow. I got it in the 1960's. I still have it. It smokes great. It is a briar and was not expensive -- under 20 bucks at the time.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I agree most here, that a Missouri Meerschaum or 3 would be your best bet if you're just starting.
It's not particularly how it looks that matters, if you're smoking for tobacco taste and enjoyment.
The Grabow pipes are terrific!
If you continue to smoke a pipe, you will eventually likely try a cob, now's as good a time as any!
Get about 3 of the Pride model and smoke em like a champ!