Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
10415-b8024ca15d78a5ec86acc7d9ca1a8d92.jpg

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Ah, it was only a question of what pipe shapes are considered "feminine". I didn't mean to imply that I'm in any way trying to enhance my femininity with certain pipe shapes.

Slim, straight and elegant isn't really my forte. ? About to buy a rhodesian (or 3) from this gentleman:

As an aside, back in the olden days when they had a space for tobacco and pipes at your local drug store (and not behind the counter) they sold "ladies pipes". They were just normal, cheaper, briars which were about 1/3 of the size. Not sure why they thought ladies smoked less tobacco per bowl, but ne'mind.

I guess the statute of limitations has long since expired enough for me to admit that I bought a number of them over the years for a different smoke which usually requires a smaller bowl.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I can't say that I have thought when purchasing a pipe if it fits my face as there's usually too many other factors such as is it really an original "maker ect..", or is that the original stem or does it have any pits that may cause burn outs, or how big is that chamber, or will it come with a funk/sour smell, or is it a freaking micro pipe or ..!

So many other variables to check off prior to getting to the does this this go with the proportions of my face.

But I can see where some shapes may "look better" than others on or in my face but it used to be a very low factor on the algorithm tree....who know now that you all are bringing it up though!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
There's a great skit of Joe Pesci trying on a pinkie ring. Anyone recall if it was SNL and about when? Part of this discussion brings that up for me.

While few seem to take to a mirror when "trying on" a pipe, I bet for many there is a correlation between physical attributes of the person and pipe, however subconscious it may be.
I remember when George Costanza took a book into the bathroom... Now that was funny!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It is definitely a modern trend for men not to care about fashion choices. However, uncaring men rarely go about in loincloths. In fact, they are letting their subconscious dictate fashion choices, and mens subconsciouses tend to pick something that everyone else is wearing.

To the extent we get people who really don’t care what others think, we get people picking their toes on airplanes. I am not convinced that this is civilizational advancement. There was something to be said for social pressure to care what others think, and to put one‘s best foot forward in public.

That said, I am tall, thin, middle aged, and my subconscious often wants to dress me like a forgetful professor emeritus. It also wants me to smoke traditional English pipe shapes, with little flair or adornment aside from silver bands.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I’d like to think that my preference in pipes is a reflexion of my personality. I tend to like reasonably minimalistic modern or different interpretations of traditional shapes.

I guess I don’t pick pipes that suit my face or looks, but I wouldn’t be comfortable smoking something that looks too out there or blingy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As an aside, back in the olden days when they had a space for tobacco and pipes at your local drug store (and not behind the counter) they sold "ladies pipes". They were just normal, cheaper, briars which were about 1/3 of the size. Not sure why they thought ladies smoked less tobacco per bowl, but ne'mind.

I guess the statute of limitations has long since expired enough for me to admit that I bought a number of them over the years for a different smoke which usually requires a smaller bowl.
With or without the rhinestone bowl covering?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It wasn't until a few years ago, (2016), when I took an image consulting certification course, that I learned that this is an extremely valid consideration IF you care about your image, and personal branding.

One example that is similar to the pipe consideration is an entire study on the style of eyeglasses one might wear, and how it makes them look in relation to the shape of their face.

It also depends on what you're going for. Do you want to look smart / scholarly, rugged / macho? ... fill in the blank.

Pro tip: Wearing black makes you look thinner. (Lori says everybody already knows this, and it isn't a pro tip.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And basic black goes with everything, handbags, shoes, eyewear, handkerchiefs!

Interesting, Kevin. The glasses in your avatar seem a bit retro, no? Iae, my dad wore similar in the 60's.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
What an interesting thread. I mostly don't care what I look like when smoking a pipe. Or maybe I want to look like I don't care what I look like when smoking a pipe.:sher:
I tend to avoid large or very ornate pipes. I'm a wildlife biologist and outdoorsman so I like pipes that can take some abuse and also ones that are more suited for walking the dogs through the woods than sitting at a coffee shop or suchlike. I almost always have a beard which I suppose works with most pipes. I'm not a tall man and generally think that smaller pipes suit me best. I also avoid pipes that seem too role-play oriented. No churchwardens or calabash pipes for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.