PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Recently I came across one of Muttnchop Piper’s videos entitled “What Shape Should I Choose?” in which he suggests purchasing pipes based on how their shapes correlate with your facial features. ?
Have any of you ever applied this concept to your pipe purchases? How many of you avoid certain pipe shapes (despite liking them) specifically because you think they’re ‘unflattering’ to your face?

Personally- I couldn’t care less if my socks match, not to mention whether or not my pipe makes me look like a thumb. Quality, good engineering, beauty and palm feel are what I look for. That said, I’d love to hear the community's take on thispuffy feel free to share your selection process.

The Muttnchop video-

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
well, he did say that every pipe goes with facial hair....so.... :col:

Yes, he did! ? But alas- I am not so lucky as to count myself among the bearded ladies of the world.

For those of us without the ability to grow facial hair- do you think facial shape should be a consideration when choosing which pipe to buy?

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Read that a long time ago in pipes magazine when I used to get the magazine delivered. I thought that the Canadian / French style made my face look skinnier. So I bought a few and they rest more now than they did years ago. Now I go to strictly meerschaum since I love everything about them, including their weight. The only time I smoke briar is in the cold, otherwise it is meers of all shapes and styles now. I'm mostly a lattice guy now. Love the art!

Reactions: supperthyme

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That’s an interesting question.

I’m drawn to a given pipe based solely on its appearance alone. Example: I’ve never cared for Authors, and recently the larger bent Dublins that are bordering on a horn are the new black.

I can honestly say I’ve never chosen a pipe to fit my ‘style’, but it does provide food for thought. I guess if I had to choose a “my style” shape, it’d be a bent billiard or bent bulldog.

Reactions: supperthyme

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I'm not a fop, but I do care about shape and aesthetics. Those of us who are unprepossessing shouldn't make ourselves even more so.

That's a fair point, olkofri. Of course a pipe should appeal aesthetically to it's owner, but do you think onlookers are putting much thought into whether your pipe is good looking? Considering how rare it is to spot a pipe smoker in the wild, any onlooker seems more likely to react with surprise than criticism.

P.S- your fop comment immediately brought this to mind-

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's a fair point, olkofri. Of course a pipe should appeal aesthetically to it's owner, but do you think onlookers are putting much thought into whether your pipe is good looking? Considering how rare it is to spot a pipe smoker in the wild, any onlooker seems more likely to react with surprise than criticism.

P.S- your fop comment immediately brought this to mind-

View attachment 10384
And your meme just brought this to my mind: Gentleman's Gazette - https://www.youtube.com/user/thegentlemansgazette

We've arrived here at the fine line that separates one from selfishness. Heck, we've arrived here at a number of fine border lines. The 'rugged individualist', the one who doesn't give a flying trout what anybody thinks, is a selfish person. The opposite is the milksop who is obsessed with being liked by everyone. A man must walk the straight and narrow between both poles.

Take the Gentleman's Gazzette linked to above for an example: I like much of what I see in those videos (well, the few that I've watched, anyway—I'm not a subscriber) and the advice is sound—I've stopped making some gaffes when wearing a suit for instance. On the other hand, obsessing about one's personal appearance can turn one into a vapid fop.

Do I think onlookers put much thought into how I look? Not really. And if you ask my mother, ANY pipe makes me look terrible (she's an anti). Does that mean I should then dress, look, and behave like a bum because I think nobody cares? Not at all. Even the humblest of men did care about appearing presentable to others who were lesser than Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.