PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here is some information that I found on the CPCC Facebook page.
The Chicago Pipe Show 2014 introduces a new event: THE CHICAGO CIGAR SHOW on Thursday, May 1st, from 6 pm to 10 pm. Unlike most cigar shows, this cigar show is FREE! No tickets, you enter the show free, enjoy appetizers, enjoy Caribbean steel band music, visit great cigar retailers and buy the cigars you want at special show prices. This new event is in the tent, so you can smoke your new cigars, or your pipe. Pheasant Run is offering golf before the Show at special discount prices. Food and adult beverages will also be available at regular prices at the show. Visit the Show website for details: www.chicagopipeshow.com

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I heard about this from a friend in the Chicago club. Personally I don't think this is such a great idea, but then again I don't care for cigars. Thursday is usually the day when a lot of the carvers arrive, so Thursday night in the tent is your opportunity for a "first look" at what they brought with them. I guess there's nothing to prevent that from happening, but I just hope the cigars don't "get in the way".

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
This may be the same as the event that was held last year. There was an adjacent tent for a cigar show which also had many exhibitors for fine spirits, mostly sipping rums. It was put on by some Chicago/St. Charles area tobacconist/cigar shops. I attended the event, got some great cigars and sampled some of the finest rums that were truly magnificent. Don't knock it until you try it. It did not take anything away from the pipe show.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I thought last year they teamed up with Cigar Aficionado and co-hosted "The Big Smoke" on a Wednesday night. Maybe I'm wrong on the info there... but I remember talking to people about it and it was pretty successful. I usually show up early Thursday afternoon so this will be something I will certainly attend. Heck, couldn't be a bad time to try and make some pipe converts while trying new cigars!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I enjoy a cigar every once in a while... But I do not enjoy the stench of myself and my clothes after spending a while in a cigar smoke filled space.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I will be at the show on Thursday and beyond. I am open to Caribbean music, as long as it doesn't raise the volume to the point that conversation becomes difficult.
Winton
ps, Walt, maybe we could room hop together. I haven't done that at the show before.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
My friend in the Chicago club tells me it's NOT going to be like last year. No hair-gelled d-bags, no Persian girls crying in the corner, no loud techno music.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My friend in the Chicago club tells me it's NOT going to be like last year. No hair-gelled d-bags, no Persian girls crying in the corner, no loud techno music.
Lets hope so. As much fun as scantily clad hussies with fake boobs can be, the environment at last years event was polar opposite of what a pipe show is. Not really my scene.

moosecop

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
Ummm.. Maybe Ill come early and meet Walt and get him really tipsy..then learn the secret to those nice suede looking pipes Ive been lusting for...

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
What? Is this really what happened?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Maybe Ill come early and meet Walt and get him really tipsy..then learn the secret to those nice suede looking pipes Ive been lusting for...
:D
Ten years ago you might have had a chance, but I've learned that I just can't drink like I used to. These days I have to cut myself off after just the first one, else I just get sick... :(

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
What? Is this really what happened?

I didn't attend the Big Burn Chicago last year but I enjoy cigar events. They are VERY different from pipe shows. 8O

http://bigburnchicago.com/the-big-burn-event/

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Darn I wish I was there last year crying dancing girls with fake boobs is one of my favorite things in the whole world .The way their chests heave is amazing ,the sadder the better .But I suppose it would be a lot more fun to hang out with guys with grey hair who hate chicks with heaving chests .Yeah Buddy . :nana:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I remember being at the tent last year on Wednesday afternoon during the Big Burn. After that event started, I hung around while a hookah vendor set up all around the tent. The music was loud and not my style. Around 5 or 6, I gave up and went home for the evening. I also remember some rail thin girls, wearing very high heels. I was worried they would be hurt if they fell off their shoes.
Cigar smokers must be different. I talked for a while with a group and they seemed to brag about their success and accomplishments more than most people I hang out with.
Winton

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"What? Is this really what happened?"
Yes it did. Keep in mind it was NOT sponsored by the Chicago club. I guess the Big Smoke people said they'd construct their own tent next to ours and asked if they could borrow ours as well (I'm guessing some money changed hands as well). So the actual event (with the loud techno music and spray-tanned d-bags) was in their tent. As Winton mentioned it was "hookah" night in the CPCC tent (this is where I saw the aforementioned crying Persian girls). There were not a lot of hookah smokers and I remember trying to have a conversation with Nate King but it was just too difficult. If there's anyone here from the Chicago club and can correct any mistakes I made, please do so.
I just hope the new CPCC Cigar Night doesn't bring in the undesirables.

Status
Not open for further replies.