PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Lets Eat!
On Friday, May 4th, from 7PM - 10 PM The Chicago Pipe Show will serve the Welcome Dinner Buffet. Each year we serve dinner to about 600 people attending the Show.
This is a 7 course buffet meal, including salad and dessert. Coffee and tea are also included. And it is all FREE.
This is your chance to have dinner with 599 other pipe makers, pipe smokers, and pipe collectors in the lovely St. Charles Ballroom at Pheasant Run Resort. Everyone attending the Show is welcome. No reservations are required. Free tickets are distributed on Friday at the Pheasant Run Resort.
This dinner is sponsored by Altadis USA maker of the Sutliff Tobacco blends, Villiger Cigars North America in memory of the late Peter Stokkebye, and the Chicago Pipe Show.
On Saturday, May 5th, The Chicago Pipe Show will host the annual Pipe and Cigar Banquet. This dinner is limited to the first 150 people who reserve a ticket. The cost of this dinner is $65 per person.
This banquet features an outstanding filet mignon dinner, including soup, salad, dessert, potatoes and vegetable. Red and white wine are also served at the table.
This meal is well worth the $65, however, our many generous sponsors also provide every diner with a free “goody bag” filled with cigars, tobacco and accessories that has a retail value greater than the $65 cost of the dinner.
As of today, we have a few Saturday night dinner tickets still available, reserve soon so that you don’t miss this great dinner and goody bag.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
It is finally Friday, again, and time to talk about another great event next Friday night at the Chicago Pipe Show.
The American Pipe Makers Forum will be held at 8:45 PM on Friday night, May 4th, 2012 in the New Orleans Ballroom at Pheasant Run Resort.
The Moderators are Lee Erck and Rex Poggenpohl. Panelists include Mike Butera, Jeff Gracik, Adam Davidson, Joe Nelson, and Alex Florov. The Forum will discuss a variety of topics that are of interest to American Pipe Makers and the pipe smokers who buy, smoke and collect American pipes. This will be an audience participation event. After initial presentations, questions and comments will be requested from the audience. This is your chance to ask questions about American pipes. All pipe makers, and all who are interested in American pipes, are invited to attend and participate.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
For those who care, we had frost today and I scrapped ice off my windshield. Be sure to bring a jacket.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
The Smoking Tent. The Chicago Pipe Show will have a 6000 square foot smoking tent at the Pheasant Run Resort. The Tent will open around noon on Wednesday, May 2nd and remain open until the early morning on Monday May 7th.
All are welcome to sit at one of the many tables, or in the comfortable lounge area, and enjoy a pipe or cigar. This is a very popular place to meet with friends or make new friends at the Show. The weather predictions are for daytime in the 70'5 and night time lows in the 50's. The tent will have heat to keep you warm on cool evenings. The atmosphere is relaxed and casual.
Pheasant Run provides a cash bar, stocked with beer, wine, hard liquor and soft drinks. The bar is open for business from 11 am until 1 am on most days. Food is also available in the tent 11 am to 11 pm on most days. Sandwiches, hot food, cold food, chips, cookies and soft drinks are available.
Come and smoke with us at the Chicago Pipe Show 2012.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Women are always welcome at the Chicago Pipe Show. We have many women table exhibitors, pipe smokers, and non-smoking wives who attend the Show. And we have events of interest for all women.
On Friday, May 4th, from 9:30AM - 4:30PM we have Champagne Limousine rides to and from the Premium Outlet Mall. There is no charge for this event, but sign up early on the poster in the lobby to get your seat in the limo.

The location for this event is the Main Hotel Lobby entrance area for Departure.
At 9 PM on Friday the 4th, we have a free craft project in the Ruby Room in the Tower at Pheasant run. This year’s Tobacco Related Craft: Discover the Tobacco Zipper Flower. The Show Hostess will demonstrate the art of creating tobacco flowers, and other flowers from zippers. Each attendee will be given all materials necessary to create the flower pin of their choice. Each attendee will be able to take their flower pin home, free of charge, as a souvenir of the 2012 Chicago Pipe Show courtesy of Altadis USA. Limited to 40 participants on a first come, first served basis.
And on Saturday the 5th of May, at 12 noon, we present the Private Ladies Luncheon for Female Exhibitors. All female exhibitors are invited to a salad luncheon with wine and dessert. The lunch is served in the St. Charles Ballroom at Pheasant Run.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Monday, May 7th, provides the last opportunity to buy, sell or trade a pipe at the 2012 Show. From 8AM to 12PM we hold our Post Show in the Terrace Café Area of Pheasant Run Resort. ½ tables are available FREE on a first come, first served basis. Many who attend the Show take this last opportunity to offer pipes for sale or trade while they await transportation to the airport. The area of the Post Show is a high traffic area where many people pass by as they leave the 2012 Show. If you have a few pipes left to sell or trade, or you have not yet spent your last dollar on pipes, visit the Post Show for your last chance to have fun at the 2012 Chicago Pipe Show.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I know it's been stated already - but - thanks again for the concise updates & "teasers". I literally used this thread today to refine my weekend schedule. Can't wait to hop in the car early Friday and head West.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I will only be in Chicago if I have "good flying weather" Saturday or Sunday. Right now, both days are looking favorable, but it is too soon to make any decision. I sure hope to meet you guys Saturday afternoon at 2:00 PM in the tent at the "Table" for us. I'll be sorry if it doesn't work out weather-wise. I am hoping!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

click on pic to enlarge:

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
I’m packing up to go to the Show. I hope to see you all tomorrow at Pheasant Run Resort for the 2012 Chicago Pipe Show!
To see the whole schedule for the Show, visit our website:
www.chicagopipeshow.com
Click on the “Show Information” tab, and then click on “Show Activities” .

All information is for the 2012 Show.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Craig
Thanks for the updates and I look forward to meeting you and the other forum members attending!!
Safe travels!! :puffy:

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
We made it! I want to thank everyone who attended the Show. We had a record turnout and everyone seemed to have fun. I want to especially thank everyone who stayed at Pheasant Run Resort during the Show.
We reached our quota on hotel room nights, so there will be a 2013 Show!
Thanks, again, for all the kind comments and constructive criticism. More later. Craig

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It was my most enjoyable Chicago show yet. Thanks for all the hard work Craig.
We are shooting for articles at end of week, hopefully Friday, but I'll try to get a few pics up today or tomorrow. I just finished unpacking now.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
A final few paragraphs here about the 2012 Show:
The Friday Swap and Smoke in the Smoking Tent had 42 tables with 84 spaces filled with vendors. Several had to wait until someone sold out to get a space and there was constant action from the crowd until late in the afternoon. Many enjoyed the comfortable seating and fine food and beverages that were available.
The Saturday evening Throwdown was a huge success with Dick Silverman (Chief Catoonah) winning the judged competition and Leonard Wortzel of Lane Limited winning the People’s Choice award. I voted for the Steven Books entry, which I enjoyed very much. I hope that all three blenders will release their recreations of the John Cotton Blend in the near future. Let’s all urge the Seattle and New York Pipe Clubs to do another Throwdown next year.
Saturday was a very lucky day for Dick Silverman. At 3:30 PM, Dick’s name was drawn from the entry bin and he was the winner of 2 free nights at Pheasant Run given by the Show.
The Show will again give away two free nights at Pheasant Run next year. The Show really needs your support by staying at the Pheasant Run hotel. We have to meet a quota, and if we don’t, the Show could be over. Next year Pheasant Run will have courtyard rooms at $109 and Tower rooms at $155. No other hotel in the area helps the Show, so please stay at Pheasant Run.
Kevin Godbee presented the first ever seminar in the tent on Friday night. It was well attended and very much enjoyed, thereby assuring that future seminars will be held in the Smoking Tent.
The world’s leading scholar, philosopher and poet of the Pipe, Ben Rapaport, spoke in the Tower on Friday night to a large and enthusiastic crowd. We all hope that Ben will return again and share more of his knowledge with us. Education is our corporate purpose, and Ben sure knows how to educate.
Scott Stultz was named as the Artist Laureate of the Pipe at the Saturday night banquet for his amazing pipe art, the two posters he did for the 2012 Show, and the magnificent calendar that he released for sale this year. In the Show, Scott displayed the wonderful pipe cabinet he designed for Neill Archer Roan. This pipe cabinet is not a pipe rack, it is not a piece of furniture, and it is way beyond a cabinet. It is a magnificent sculpture that holds pipes like the treasures that they are.
The 4 pipe displays by Dustin Babitzke (blowfish pipes), Bobby Eichorn (his entire collection of Charatan pipes), Paige Simms (large squat bulldog pipes), and Larry Voorhees (GBD Uniques) were outstanding and were enjoyed by all at the Show.
The Show thanks everyone who donated to the Silent Auction, and everyone who placed a bid at the auction. This event is very important to the Show, and we could not provide all the free events, like the Friday night Welcome dinner for 600, without it.
The United Pipe Clubs of America 10th U. S. National Slow Smoking Championship was the largest ever held in the USA. Visit the UPCA website for information on the winners in various categories, and the 2012 US National Champion: http://www.unitedpipeclubs.org/
And, most importantly, about 1000 pipe smokers enjoyed the show, learned more about pipes and tobacciana, and enjoyed smoking a bowl or two with friends from all over the world. Thank you, and please come again in 2013.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I was going to go inside the roped off area of The Silent Auction and yell really loud, but I decided against it.
I don't get why anyone wouldn't stay at Pheasant Run. It just doesn't make any sense, but I know some people stay at other hotels anyway.
This year, I saw more 20-somethings, and more pretty ladies than ever before too.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
What a great event. Craig, I wish to send you and the committee a huge THANK YOU for all of your hard work and scheduling of events. The pre show which was held under the tent this year was a huge success; being able to smoke while shopping and viewing the tables. I just can't believe how quickly the time flies by and I'm already looking forward to next year's extravaganza.

:clap: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.