PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
So I finally have a day off to share my PAD scores from Chicago.  I bought one pipe for myself and an estate score for restos.
The personal pipe is from a new carver, new to Philadelphia migrated from California, Max Capps.  I've been checking out his work for a bit, since he has been coming to the Morley's pipe club.  He has extensive restoration experience which has translated well in some aspects to his carving.  His blast work is excellent, as is his shaping and engineering.  He's made very bent pipes that pass pipe cleaners, although mine is a straight.  He has resourced some interesting materials for accents, including the (spalted?) redwood on this straight saddle apple.  He likes to to convex rims on his pipes, which is a feature I like.  His stamp is lasercut, which makes for a deep clean stamp.  The only issue is the stem/button thickness.  This is not a clenching pipe.  The thickness at the button is near on 5mm.  He did this intentionally, to add some extra meat for stem biters.  I think he has gotten enough feedback that he will be altering this part of his work in the future for more comfort.  Pipers generally value comfort over thickness.  His stems tend to have a wide button and very deep and wide slot.  I would recommend buying one, but have the opportunity to get one in hand and see if the features are up your alley in person.  I can't give a smoking report on it yet, only smoked it once so far and wasn't a familiar tobacco.  It is a large size and weighs in at 55grams , which is decent considering the size.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Also, on the last day, picked up an estate score.  Right place, right time, was looking at a table and guy walks up and asks the guy behind the table, "You know anyone who wants to buy some high grade estates?"  Guy behind the table started pointing him in some direction and I said Hey, whatcha got?  Opens up a box with some real nice pipes and worked the deal out, wrote a check and here below are the pipes:
From the top:  Unsmoked Becker, CHP-X, Stokkebye by Jorgen Larsen(pencil shank dublin), Savinelli Autograph, Dunhill Cumberland ODA, Dunhill Shell 6109, Becker 3 Hearts, Castello Sea Rock KKKK, Savinelli Non-Pareil and another Castello Sea Rock G.

007.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oooh-la-la, the mother lode. Some fabulous grain there, and also some of the most handsome rusticated Canadians I've seen.

Dec 24, 2012
Nice score Sam. It was a pleasure meeting you at the show, and thanks for putting up with my unusual driving style.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Wow Sam, you have scored some of the nicest pipes there are. Well done! The blast on that first pipe is mesmerizing.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Peck- the best part of being at the show was getting to meet some of the knuckleheads from here in person.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sam has a great eye at a pipe show, his pictures show the results!
I did check out some Maxx (Gary Malberg's son) pipes at the last Philly club meeting. He had a Dunhill LC replica that was amazing, I'm sure it sold at the show (Super thin, rounded bent shank - his passed a cleaner!)

Status
Not open for further replies.