PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Replaced the wick once after falling into a river fully clothed. Didn't want to dry, so replaced the cotton filling and the wick. Probably lost that Zippo. First few Zippos were my uncle's old ones he didn't use any more. Lost all of 'em. Then there were few others. Remember dark navy painted one from 82. I know where I lost that one, local pizzeria. Then there were others in college where I lost them during camping. For awhile, just used Bic. Then Marlboro started doing promotion and picked up few. Reused them when started smoking pipe. Softer flames than Bic. But they both get the job done.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Replaced the wick once after falling into a river fully clothed. Didn't want to dry, so replaced the cotton filling and the wick. Probably lost that Zippo. First few Zippos were my uncle's old ones he didn't use any more. Lost all of 'em. Then there were few others. Remember dark navy painted one from 82. I know where I lost that one, local pizzeria. Then there were others in college where I lost them during camping. For awhile, just used Bic. Then Marlboro started doing promotion and picked up few. Reused them when started smoking pipe. Softer flames than Bic. But they both get the job done.
Jeez man..... Would you quit losing everything? You need a bic on an extendable leash!

My wife loses everything too....terrible. lol

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
View attachment 195719
Absolutely nothing special about this, other than they are on Amazon for between $12.60 - $12.90 all the time.

Basically the street chrome model with a little design. I actually don’t think it is great looking, but it isn’t terrible and the price seems right.

I guess what I’m saying is get ‘em while they have them. You know, if you actually want one of course.
哦,那是我妻子的表兄弟侄子卢叔叔做的

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I'm still on the fence about getting one.
My only complaint about the Zippo is that it's not so great if you have to relight towards the bottom of a pipe with a deep chamber. It's not possible to really get the flame deep into the chamber like it is with matches or other pipe lighters. Other than that, I love my Zippo pipe lighters.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
It's a smart idea to have a back up. What is you have to send yours in for warranty?
I don't think I'd ever send it in for warranty repair. It would probably cost more in postage than buying a new one. I have a butane soft flame pipe lighter and matches to get me through in case the zippo craps out. Also have a bunch of lighters that my mother collected that would work in a pinch. But I really love the zippo pipe lighter.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't think I'd ever send it in for warranty repair. It would probably cost more in postage than buying a new one. I have a butane soft flame pipe lighter and matches to get me through in case the zippo craps out. Also have a bunch of lighters that my mother collected that would work in a pinch. But I really love the zippo pipe lighter.
For me, it was only 3 to 5 dollars for shipping to the warranty department. So it is close, but I can probably get a brand new brushed chrome for 12.00.

But I like using the warranty, so I'm not throwing away more lighters. I like the idea of less waste.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My only complaint about the Zippo is that it's not so great if you have to relight towards the bottom of a pipe with a deep chamber. It's not possible to really get the flame deep into the chamber like it is with matches or other pipe lighters. Other than that, I love my Zippo pipe lighters.
Sometimes that’s a wick issue - but then again, so many things in life come back to wick issues.

Reactions: Piping Abe