PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
image.jpg
Absolutely nothing special about this, other than they are on Amazon for between $12.60 - $12.90 all the time.

Basically the street chrome model with a little design. I actually don’t think it is great looking, but it isn’t terrible and the price seems right.

I guess what I’m saying is get ‘em while they have them. You know, if you actually want one of course.

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Sometimes zippo sells low end (price wise) designs for even less when they're being retired. And they just retired a bunch of designs (far less then they added). Could be that.
I’ve been wondering why that particular one is so cheap. They’ve been selling it at that price for months. I think I first noticed it in late summer.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
It may not have been clear and probably no one will really care, but I already bought it.

That picture was the one I bought, photographed on my leg after It arrived today.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I’ve been wondering why that particular one is so cheap. They’ve been selling it at that price for months. I think I first noticed it in late summer.
Yep, I bought one last month. I bought another design a couple of months ago for $16, which is still pretty cheap.

Reactions: Ryan

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I usually end up getting plain brass armor Zippo. Just like way they patina.
My two favorites are the brushed chrome pictures above, and my brass armor. I got my brass armor the year my daughter was born in 2012. So I'll give it to her one day. Great patina. Blue, purple, orange,red etc. Otherwise I just like the plain basic 12 dollar brushed chrome. I keep my meaningful ones on the shelf at home, and just use the chrome one. They take a great amount of abuse.

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I really want to like my Zippo, I really do.
You’ve probably already heard these suggestions, but in case you haven’t:

When you light it, let it burn for a few seconds before trying to light your pipe. I mentally count to four.

Also, I find it works best when I give it just a little movement while lighting and I try not to draw the actual flame downward. Sometimes I draw it down, but I’m aiming not to do that.

If you get lots of fumes in your mouth, don’t draw so hard. Little puffs seems to work best. Don’t try to smoke with it, just get it lit.

These steps work for me, no guarantee for you of course. But thanks for running the secret santa either way. It was fun!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like my old boy, cause it works great and it's fancy and expensive. It always stays in my pipe pouch. But as a cigarette smoker as well, I ALWAYS have my Zippo on me. Haven't carried a bic or any other lighter in atleast 5 years now.

I have a few pipe inserts, but found it troublesome trying to explain to cig smokers how the flame comes out the side, and laughing at them try to use it. Then a few years ago,I heard many people on here just use the regular inserts, and I now prefer it. Just pull the wick up to the top of the windscreen.

I go through a flint every 2 or 3 months, and I replace the stock wicks on all my zippos atleast once each so far. (Wonder if they are shorter than the ones you buy, but I got a great deal on boxes of wicks and flints at a rummage sale lol). I think @Chasing Embers said he's never replaced a wick, but when I replaced the one in my Zippo I have now, it was about 1 1/2 inches long at this point. Compared to the new one at about 4 inches.

Reactions: Ryan

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
View attachment 195719
Absolutely nothing special about this, other than they are on Amazon for between $12.60 - $12.90 all the time.

Basically the street chrome model with a little design. I actually don’t think it is great looking, but it isn’t terrible and the price seems right.

I guess what I’m saying is get ‘em while they have them. You know, if you actually want one of course.
I have the exact same lighter. Been using it for over a year with no problems. Great lighter.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and Ryan

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014