PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
most of my pipes are peterson. i just like them. anywhere from $120-300. every one of them smokes fine with free and easy draw. but lower the price, i see more fitting issues.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I have a a $75 pipe, a $40 pipe, and $12 pipe. I like them in that order, but I'm not fooling myself: If I only had the $12, I'd be fine.
I can afford the $70, and it makes me feel more gentlemanly to smoke it. If it is a special occasion, that is the one I grab.
I would probably feel even more gentlemanly with a $300 pipe, but that is too rich for my blood. I am quite happy with my pipe collection.
If I got a windfall of cash, and I could suddenly afford a $300 pipe without any unease...I would probably buy one.
Right now, I'm only buying a pipe if a story comes with it. I was recently in a small town in Germany, and saw a really awesome (but quite expensive) pipe in the window of a store. I actually kind of wish I'd bought it. It was unique (I haven't seen anything like it in the U.S.), and if anyone asked, I would've had a great story about my visit to that wonderful town, and the quaint shop I visited, yada, yada, yada. And if no one asked, I still would have enjoyed it. Personally, I think that would have been worth something. But, it would have hurt the pocket book, so I didn't buy.....but I probably should have done it.....but if I'd done it, I probably would have felt guilty about the expense. So, there you go. I don't feel bad about the $75 pipe. That one feels right every time I smoke it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Without touching on the topic of artisan pipes, I will say that you’d have a hard time wasting money on a Savinelli. I have several, and all of them have been great smokers from bowl 1
Also, the less-expensive Savinellis are less-expensive really only because of aesthetic details of the briar unrelated to smoking quality. In other words, a $60 Sav is gonna smoke as well as a $100 or $200 Sav (assuming we’re not talking about their special grades like Autograph, etc).

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Dammit, I keep thinking of more points to make.
My advice to any new smoker working with a set budget is to spend what you can now on tobacco. As is often said, tobacco will only get more expensive and less available. Get a few inexpensive but quality briars, a few Missouri Meerschaum cobs, and then spend the bulk of your budget on tobacco to cellar deep

Status
Not open for further replies.