Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
There have been several times over the past year or so that many different members have asked that we install a chat room feature on the site.
The answer is no, and here is why.
I fear that it will detract from the conversations in the forums. The forums add a lot of value to the site because the conversations are preserved for all to see, read, learn and/or be entertained.
Some people read them for weeks or months and then they are finally persuaded to join the site after they feel comfortable with the members of the community.
Chat does not offer those benefits, and I feel it would take away from them.
This is the same concept as the post I made about private messages.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree Kevin. Another bonus to not having a chat room is that it gives one a little more time to think about what they're typing before it's posted. :D

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
What William said.
besides, what if they were almost always empty? People might think we're not active. . . that would also be detrimental to newcomers.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Just to clarify, I made that chess post about a 'forum "room"', I hope you didn't think I was talking about a chat room. To clarify, I meant a heading in the forums for different threads for correspondence chess games, where others could check in and watch a game.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a prime example:

One of our newest members (and is going to be a very good one I believe) sent me a PM seeking advice.

I suggested that he just "dive right in" and not to be shy.

I believe he was very surprised and pleased by the response to his inquiry.

Kudos to all the members.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@assaad

Just to clarify, I made that chess post about a 'forum "room"', I hope you didn't think I was talking about a chat room. To clarify, I meant a heading in the forums for different threads for correspondence chess games, where others could check in and watch a game.
I was not addressing that at all. I haven't even read it.
No offense, but contrary to popular belief, I don't actually read everything in the forums as I do not have time. That's why we have Lawrence, Bubba and Bob.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Gotta side with Kevin 110 percent.Since I first joined the group up to today I still frequent the old topics.A chat room would take away the reason for having forums.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
God I hated hooked on phonics, so glad when people realized that English -isn't- phonetic, not even close.
Um Lawrence. . .how did you? If you can't. . .but. . My head hurts.
It's like that cartoon where the guy says "(something to the effect of 'do this or I'll beat you up') capiche?" and the other replies "Everything but capiche." -- oh, it was an episode of the Oblongs!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Um Lawrence. . .how did you? If you can't. . .but. . My head hurts.
I'm one of those guys that earned a Master Degree in Business Administration, before it was fashionable and now I'm over educated... Go figure. :|

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I fear that it will detract from the conversations in the forums. The forums add a lot of value to the site because the conversations are preserved for all to see, read, learn and/or be entertained.
We'll there is that and the fact that I told Kevin I'd chat with my pants off and ask people to give me their credit card number. He vomited just like my wife did at the thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.