Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's Private Messages, not PMS. (I've had enough of that lately.)
It would be helpful to our entire pipe community here if you guys can keep something in mind when it comes to sending Private Messages (PM's).
One of the largest benefits of these forums is that they provide an opportunity for people to learn, and to read other people's opinions, input, advice, etc. And to be entertained too.
This is negated when someone asks a question in a PM, where the answer would benefit other members of the forums.
These forums are about sharing information, not keeping it between just 2 members in private messages.
Many pipe smokers that are not members come here and read. Several of them decide to join us after reading for a while.
So, I ask you to please use PM's only for conversations that should truly be kept private.
Questions like ...
1. What is your favorite Latakia blend?

2. Should I buy a Peterson or a Savinelli?

3. What's the best way to pack a pipe?

4. How do I put a photo into a post?
These should be asked in public.
Questions like ...
1. Can I buy that estate pipe of yours for $100?

2. Can we meet up at the Chicago show on Thurs at 11?

3. Isn't Kevin an egotistical objectifier of women?
These should be asked in a PM.
Thanks.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Answers to your PM Questions

1. Depends on which one.

2. Man do I wish I was going to be there.

3. Probably, but we all struggle with that.
Hey Kevin, hope you're doing well. Have you had a chance to smoke either of those old Comoy's yet?

I see that you've been digging on the Trout Stream. Very nice!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have smoked the estate Comoy a few times, but not the new one yet. I'm pulling a "Bob" and waiting until the right moment with the right tobacco. LOL.
I've smoked all the other pipes I bought from you several times already.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
When I can't think fo a title I just use a tilde ( this --> ~ ) or three and leave it at that

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@marmal4de

Off the topic, but still on private messages, is there any way to open a PM without a message title?
No, but you can just keep taking guesses at the url until you hit it.
That's actually one of my pet peeves with email. It makes me crazy when I get email with no subject line.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
If, in any situation, I am not sure what to use as a subject line I make up a phrase that sounds good or interesting. Might not make any sense syntax and diction wise, but it sounds good and is often something that will make someone think for a bit. Like when I send someone an email titled something like "Slow flowing soil usurps the right to jelly bean." That would get the ol' noggin thinkin'

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Kevin: Please let me know when you make your next trip up to New York. I'd like to share a bowl with you and ask you question #3 in person.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
No, but you can just keep taking guesses at the url until you hit it.
That's actually one of my pet peeves with email. It makes me crazy when I get email with no subject line.

Thanks Kevin, I went URL fishing, and managed to easily catch both of my subjectless PMs.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@mjtannen

Kevin: Please let me know when you make your next trip up to New York. I'd like to share a bowl with you and ask you question #3 in person.
That sounds great! So would I. I love NY. No current plans, but maybe I will make an excuse sometime later in the year. You mean NYC or other? Now you have me thinking of about 10 different restaurants in the city I want to go to. Ha ha.
@marmal4de

Thanks Kevin, I went URL fishing, and managed to easily catch both of my subjectless PMs.
Awesome. I am impressed with your url fishing skills!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Kevin: I reside on Long Island about 50 miles east of NYC, however, we could certainly meet in the city. Have you ever had dinner at Enrico and Paglieri? I believe it is on 13th St. just West of Broadway. Good Italian food at reasonable prices.

Marty Tannen

Status
Not open for further replies.