PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hello Friends

just bought a Charatans Pipe "Extra".
A lovely Bent which is stamped only on left side:

CHARATAN`S MAKE
LONDON.ENGLAND
EXTRA 11

On stem the "C" runs in the "P" and is thin/ stem is the old one (no double comfort or saddle...)

Any known infos about this pipe welcome, because I only found one other Charatan stamped same way,
but the other owner has no helpful info about it.

I only know "Extra" as special mark for extra size on right side, but never saw this as a quality-level on left side.

Thanks to all and stay healthy
Torsten

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Unfortunately Ken Barnes is no longer amongst us and my reply comes rather impulsive.
So I have not yet dug in my Charatan trunk and there is no prove . Not yet.
I recall "Extra" being an additional ( quality ) stamp to any particular grade.
Think " Extra Special " , or "Deluxe Extra" . If you catch my drift.
Could be wrong , I'm buried in work now and there is little time to dig in the trunk.
Could also be an much older grading, later "Special " .

Dec 10, 2013
Google translation : Expressive straight grain, excellent flame grain or not at all
excellent cross cut. In this grade, in addition to an excellent pattern, there are deviations from the classic
forms following the "flame": billiards or dublin with an inclined bowl. Extra pipes cost noticeably
more expensive than De Luxe (up to 8 pounds in the 20s
years, up to 12 - in the 30s). Sometimes, out of old memory or by special order, they were supplied with hard cases.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Google translation : Expressive straight grain, excellent flame grain or not at all
excellent cross cut. In this grade, in addition to an excellent pattern, there are deviations from the classic
forms following the "flame": billiards or dublin with an inclined bowl. Extra pipes cost noticeably
more expensive than De Luxe (up to 8 pounds in the 20s
years, up to 12 - in the 30s). Sometimes, out of old memory or by special order, they were supplied with hard cases.

Thank !
Please send link to this interesting news,

Dec 10, 2013
Wonderful pipe capitano, thank you for adding the pictures ! More of them would be even
more appreciated. Mind you, we are fanatics :)
In my "collection" are to Charatan Super pipes, very rare.
I already posted the link . Twice :)