PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I can tell the difference when lit with an oil lighter(zippo), but not much of a difference between a butane lighter and a match, maybe a bit of a pine taste that fades quickly from a match.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
With match, just a wooden smell. With butane gas, It's more difficult the of fragrance change. Perhaps my short experience in this world of tobacco pipe.

Reactions: UncleRasta

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I've used Zippos, matches, Bic lighters, burning stick from a campfire, trench lighters, and probably much more. After the third sip, they're all pretty much the same.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I use matches when I’m home and a lighter when I’m driving or outdoors. I’m still a cig smoker so I doubt my taste is as sensitive as I could be so I don’t notice a difference. Unless the match goes out and I sip some match smoke into the pipe then I get a different taste lol

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Lighters, matches, so 1800. Get with the times folks. Electric plasma lighter!
20190912_211926.jpg

• Wow

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Actually the plasma lighter works pretty well to light up, but relights are a no go. I usually use my Xikar butane lighter most of the time. I have not yet been able to get a satisfactory light without touching flame to tobacco. Perhaps I worry too much about rim scorching and I'm too impatient :sher:

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm also an outside smoker, or in my truck while simultaneously driving, eating, texting, and gesticulating, so matches don't work for me. But I've just begun planning my attic man-cave, where I'll make my wife let me smoke, and then I will buy some expensive foreign-made matches and get smokey.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
Some people seem to be overly sensitive to lighter fluid smell/taste. Pretty sure that is why this continues to be debated.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I notice no fuel taste with this Lotus piezo lighter .

Surprisingly, this has produced a cooler smoke experience over matches.

Attachments

• 07BC1BCD-2537-4027-BBEC-096558456516.jpeg
    07BC1BCD-2537-4027-BBEC-096558456516.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 0

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I always use Bic lighters, tried matches at first because I read it in some erudite place or other along the lines of "starting with aromatics", "doing the three step packing", "building cake" etc but they are too much trouble for me. Tried with a zippo once and dumped the bowl a split second after the flame came near the tobacco.
Oh look I already replied to this thread!

Bic lighters for the win, I buy the big ones in 10-piece sleeves. I do however RELIGHT as cosmic suggests.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I get antsy if I have the refrigerator door opened for more than 15 seconds, or if I have the water on longer than necessary, and I turn out my led lights if I'm going out for more than a walk.
I started with matches, switched to lighters, went back to matches and then discovered hemp wick.
With a bulk spool of hemp wick, I load one or two sticks that double as tampers, with hemp wick and use the butane of a bic to light the wick.
If I'm going outside, I stand where there is no wind in an alcove before heading into breezy conditions, and light up there.
The wick serves the purpose of easing my fears of wasting fossil fuels, and is quite handy for any lengthy lighting or re-lighting requirements as you can feed the flame as you go by simply unwinding the wick on a stick. tm.
The wick is also more wind resistant than a match in the case of my current batch of wick, anyway.
For me, a nice soft, leisurely and more guilt free way to get it going.