PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I've been smoking pipes for about 10 years. In that time I've used different ways to light my pipes. Some people account for no obvious taste differences between the various ways to light up. I challenge you to take a blend your very familiar with and use only matches. The intended goal is to reveal how butane and lighter fluids alter the taste of your tobacco and to determine if you can actually perceive that difference as I can. Hopefully this is rewarding for those with delicate palates and at minimum will show the value of tradition and technology. Happy Smoking!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I did use matches when I first started. Since I only smoke outside, use of matches was most frustrating thing ever. I believe it can be done, but try to manage how to handle the pipe filled with tobacco and finding right position to shield from wind didn't work too well.

Having said that, I also have been playing with how to light the tobacco last couple of weeks. Most impact on the over all flavor I found was from evenly and completely lightening the surface of the tobacco. It can be done with initial light, but "true" light can make it easier and with out torching the tobacco.

I found a match box other day, I'll see if that makes difference from Zippo.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've been smoking pipes for about 10 years. In that time I've used different ways to light my pipes. Some people account for no obvious taste differences between the various ways to light up. I challenge you to take a blend your very familiar with and use only matches. The intended goal is to reveal how butane and lighter fluids alter the taste of your tobacco and to determine if you can actually perceive that difference as I can. Hopefully this is rewarding for those with delicate palates and at minimum will show the value of tradition and technology. Happy Smoking!
Challenge accepted... and done. Been a pipe smoker for a year and a cigar smoker for 16. Matches all the way. Windy conditions are an old nemesis I usually best, like a comic book superhero.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use lighter fluid only outdoors when the wind blows strong. To me, there's both an odor and a taste of the fluid, but it can be mitigated by keeping the flame further from its target.

If I burn off the sulphur, matches don't change the taste of the tobacco.

I prefer butane and notice no difference between a good light with a match or butane as far as taste of the smoke goes.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I did the test with. One corn pipe Charles Towne Cobbler, with Standard Mixture of Peterson. Tobacco with optimal humidity to smoking. Nothing crispy. I think with butane gas,I percive a better fragrance. My opinion as a rookie in the pipe tobacco world. However, It's more elegant with the matches......................Maybe some special tobacco matches, It's irrelevant to me..........?

There's nothing wrong with matches... or the hemp wick, or any of these methods of lighting your pipe. But, I think that reason most people get turned off from butane lighters is that they use all lighters wrong.

(Now, before you get all huffy about my use of the word "wrong," hear me out...)

You do not have to point a lighter down into the bowl. Actually, I suggest that you never do this. All you need is the heat from the flame, not the actual flame, even when using a match. Just hover the flam a half an inch or so above the bowl, and pull the heat down with your puff. You do not need to pull down the actual flame. Just the heat is enough to get your pipe ignited.

The hottest part of the flame is just outside the yellow halo of color on a flame, and the coolest part is the blue and red center. When I show someone how to weld with a torch, I push the flame down onto an asbestos pad to show that it makes a ring of heat with the center part cool enough to touch. But, when you pull back so that no color from the flame touches the pad, that the pad turns the brightest with heat. So, think about the flame this way. Pull back a half an inch to an inch, and just draw down the invisible heat and your pipe will light much faster.

After, I've shown people the way the flame works, many will ask me why companies make pipe lighters that shoot down into the bowl... my answer is that the people who make these poorly designed lighters just make what will sell, and since most people are crudely ignorant of how a flame works, they buy these lighters to more quickly destroy their pipes.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Happy to see inputs. Personally I taste the differences between matches and zippos the most. I can taste butane as well, especially if I have to relight towards the bottom of the bowl. I love zippos for their history but I can't stand the taste it puts off. It's not to say that I feel using a lighter taints the whole smoke but whenever I use matches I taste a much cleaner and nuanced version of whatever I smoke. I used to primarily use hemp wick and a Bic to light it. Then I got lazy and just used a Bic. I have refined butane for my nicer lighters. But over time I've definitely felt butane is inferior for taste. Superior for convenience!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I only smoke outside. Matches are just more trouble than they're worth in even the slightest of breezes. I've used exclusively Bics and a Kiribi Kabuto for the last two years. Never noticed enough of a difference to elicit the slightest bit of care on my part.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
If I let the flame touch my virginia's (match or lighter) the bowl is ruined instantly. Taste gone. Cosmic is right on. I don't understand how others can torch their tobacco so much and still get great flavor.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
As much as 80+% of “taste” is actually smell. I doubt that you’re actually tasting sulfur dioxide (matches) or butane, which dissipates quickly. If so, it’s minimal and would not linger long in the tobacco after a few puffs. I use both Zippos and matches, and find that neither of the aromas to be pungent or unpleasant, and only adds to the overall smoking experience. That’s being said, my palate is not the most sensitive, so what do I know ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Happy to see inputs. Personally I taste the differences between matches and zippos the most. I can taste butane as well, especially if I have to relight towards the bottom of the bowl. I love zippos for their history but I can't stand the taste it puts off. It's not to say that I feel using a lighter taints the whole smoke but whenever I use matches I taste a much cleaner and nuanced version of whatever I smoke. I used to primarily use hemp wick and a Bic to light it. Then I got lazy and just used a Bic. I have refined butane for my nicer lighters. But over time I've definitely felt butane is inferior for taste. Superior for convenience!
Bic butane is shit. That’s your problem. Use a high quality pure butane in a good lighter... don’t stick the flame down in the chamber as suggested above, and there is no flavor.