Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I got a brand new MS 250 just last week, as it happens! I am just starting to love it now that I am having luck starting it up. At first, it was quite frustrating getting it started. It was probably a user error, but I found some forums indicating that I wasn’t the first to have the problem. I removed the the spark plug to resolve the flooding nearly a dozen times. But I think I finally got ‘er figgered out at last. I almost vented about the whole debacle here on this forum but thought better of it. I see now that I’m not the only pipe smoker who’s been a little preoccupied with chainsaws lately. ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I enjoy the results of my work but, the work no. There is the satisfaction of eyeing a tree, noting the lean, setting the cables and such then, seeing the tree fall exactly as planned. The hard work, limbing, setting the pullies, threading the cable, and snaking the tree out of the woods is a right piece of work also. But, after felling, limbing, snaking it out, cutting into proper lengths there is the early evening beer. Seasonal "beetle kill" in my part of the world means a few days to a week every summer killing the dead trees. The older I get, the more troublesome it seems. I have threes saws so I don't have to change bars, 14- 24inch bars.

I would offer this advice to neophyte/weekender saw drivers, tune (sharpen) the loop every gas refill, easier than waiting until your back is sore from forcing the saw. And don't forget the depth gauge. A lot of recreational users have no clue about the depth gauge. A sharp saw requires only guidance, no forcing, it'll pull itself through the wood.

Enjoy I suppose if that's your idea of recreation.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I love my 3 chain saws, especially since I picked up an Alaskan mill a year or two ago. My biggest saw is a 36" husqvarna from the 80's and I have been cutting a bunch of slab with it, very satisfying!

I second @warren about the sharpening, I keep multiple sharpened chains so I don't have to tune them midday, but will sharpen them all before the next outing. Safer for the user and better for the saw and tree.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Here in SoAZ Palo verde’s are a weed that “we” deal with a loper and pitch fork. I use my vintage Stihl for cutting up dead trees and landscaping at my home in Wisconsin. I’m way more comfortable felling trees with a bulldozer than a chainsaw.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I lived on the farm I bought an 18" Husqvarna and that thing was worth its weight in gold.

We had about 3 acres of well overgrown willow and having a large woodburner in the sitting room made buying the husky a no brainer.

That saw cut many many tons of wood and believe it or not I sold it for almost the price I paid for it to a guy who wanted to carve trees with a chainsaw!

The only issue I had with it was when ticking over on the ground, if the fuel was about to run out it would suddenly start to run due to the enriched mixture. Otherwise a super machine.

Regards,

Jay.

I can't say that it brings me joy. I have an orchard that I have to do some severe pruning, and the occasional cutting of tree off of my truck or house.

I've gotten to really like my electric chain saw, because it has the first real brake that I've ever used on a saw. When I let off of the button, it actually stops immediately, unlike my Stihls. This has saved me some blood, especially when using the thing while standing in a peach tree.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have a Stihl MS290 and it has seen a lot of use, but I prefer to use it only when absolutely necessary. Chain saws are definitely dangerous. The Stihl has not been used in awhile and needs some maintenance. I have been deal hunting for a smaller electric chain saw to be used for small work such as limbs larger than the pruners can handle. I love the Stihl power when needed, but get tired of dealing with fuel mix, spark plugs, air filters, etc. and I rarely need the power and size of the Stihl.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Last year I decided to go battery powered and found a good deal on a Ryobi that uses a 40 volt battery. It came in handy for helping to clear fallen trees from friends yards after the hurricane last year. Mine is a 16 inch. It worked so well that I went back and bought a Ryobi weed eater and blower.

Unlike a good pipe, chainsaws don't deliver on joy for me.

View attachment 141198
When you get old this is what you can handle!
That looks like exactly what I need for orchard work. I need to check that out.
Do you own one like this, Brad? Does it brake as soon as you let off the trigger?

When I was using a 2 stroke, I would often just drop it when I had to quickly swing to another branch to keep my balance. Scary stuff.