PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I am a 2 bowls a week piper on average, so I think I have enough tobacco in tins to last me about 10 years, if I bought nothing further. But that's almost all tins of Virginias that I am going to leave alone and put age on. I also have a few bulk purchases in mason jars that adds up to several more years worth. But this wasn't a lot of money and it's all hiding in one cardboard box, basically. So it's not too excessive to me.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
I smoke roughly an ounce per week. If I stopped buying tobacco today my stash would last me about 4-5 years at that rate. I’m trying to whittle down 6-8 blends to cellar deeply, not to age them per se but to garner against extinction of my favorites. Blends or entire blending houses can vanish with little to no warning and I have a handful of blends that I simply do not want to ever do without.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
My cellar isn't huge but it will last me about 25 years of daily smoking. That said, I still add to it when so inclined. Been going through a Country Squire streak lately. I have yet to find anything in their line I don't enjoy a lot.

I have specific instructions on who to contact if I croak so my family won't be wondering what to do with it all and can recoup some of my "investment" (ha!). Another part of the master plan involves some sharing with this forum, as you lot are the only ones that would truly enjoy it. Think of it as a final box pass.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
My cellar isn't huge but it will last me about 25 years of daily smoking. That said, I still add to it when so inclined. Been going through a Country Squire streak lately. I have yet to find anything in their line I don't enjoy a lot.

I have specific instructions on who to contact if I croak so my family won't be wondering what to do with it all and can recoup some of my "investment" (ha!). Another part of the master plan involves some sharing with this forum, as you lot are the only ones that would truly enjoy it. Think of it as a final box pass.
It would be fun to have a traveling box, where someone starts it with 5 or 10 random tins, and it gets passed around perpetually with everyone receiving it taking one tin from the box and putting in another of their own, then sending to the next person.

It would be fun to have a traveling box, where someone starts it with 5 or 10 random tins, and it gets passed around perpetually with everyone receiving it taking one tin from the box and putting in another of their own, then sending to the next person.
Box passes, we've done that before. The problem is that occasionally, someone gets the box and then disappears from the forum, never to be heard from again. I want to say that we are all good guys here, but sometimes, someone...

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
For many years, I enjoyed my weekly walk to the local tobacconist, to buy another 50g tin, just before or after having emptied my 'cellar'. You never know when you decide to quit someday and I tend to drink, eat or smoke too much, when I have more than sufficient beer, chocolate or tobacco in stock. I know, I am not that smart...

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
WTF?! Ha ha. you lost me at this sentence. Like I'm going to wake up one day, and just forget to pack a pipe, and then keep forgetting, ha ha.
I could never forget my pipe in the morning. Or during the day. But these days, you know, I am told so, when eg my wife has prepared a nice breakfast, lunch or dinner and when my boss wants me to do some work. All day! We pipe smokers face so many disturbances during the day, that I unfortunately had these blasphemish thoughts of quitting. Actually, several times during the last 40 years!

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Back when I was buying Penzance and Murrey Made Dynhills and GL Pease products in 2001-2012 I was paying 5 bucks a tin. When I lost my taste completely of anything with Latakia or Orientals I sold all of my left over tins in 2012 and got 60-65 a tin for all of them. I am no good at math maybe some one could figure my rate of return percentage wise.

Now I sit with lots more than i ever had before and almost all of it is from 2012-2013 but I have no intention of selling. I buy tobacco to smoke, if I tire of something I can make a quick 5 grand and buy more pipes.
$5 in 2001 that turned into $65 in 2012 is roughly a 23.85% annual rate of return.

pacoats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2021
i'm just starting to cellar, but really enjoying the anticipation of future bowls. that being said, i've likely got 2 years of tobacco on stock, and the collection just keeps growing...