New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I’ve been buying like crazy. I’ve only been smoking for just over a year, and at my one-bowl-a-day pace, I’ve probably got a 15 year supply right now. However, I know that once the little ones require less constant attention, I’ll smoke more often. Probably. So gotta keep buying I guess! Haha

I think everyone leaves large quantities of SOMETHING when they go. When my dad passed, my brother and I got more guns, ammo, reloading supplies, and tools than we know what to do with! I’m just gonna enjoy it, buy whatever without thinking TOO much about it. Someone will be happy as a lark to get my stash one day. Maybe my boys will divvy it up like my brother and I got to with dad’s stuff. Doubt he’d call it a waste knowing the joy his “overages” brought his kids.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Anything

Tobacco profitability is a crap shoot, today's gold is tomorrow's lead considering it may or not be legal to buy and sell in the near future.
Well, your latter statement might be true, but the "crap shoot" factor applies to many more investments than just tobacco, so, I beg to disagree. "Anything" is not necessarily a better investment than tobacco. Pardon me while I go check on my Gamestop stocks and Dogecoin holdings.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Anything

Tobacco profitability is a crap shoot, today's gold is tomorrow's lead considering it may or not be legal to buy and sell in the near future.
Furthermore, if selling tobacco becomes illegal in the future it's going to be worth a lot more on the black market than it is now on the open market. Hopefully governments are finally coming around to the realization that prohibition doesn't work...89 years after it was repealed in the U.S. for obvious reasons.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I originally thought 400 would be more than enough,ended up with well over 500 lbs. That was fine until we moved to Florida into a smaller house and no room to store that amount. So I sold a lot, still have more I need to sell. How much is too much depends on your personal finances, storage space, smoking needs looking to the future and your obsession.
838C9786-E2C9-4C0D-BD07-1C43F1F42625.jpeg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hopefully governments are finally coming around to the realization that prohibition doesn't work...89 years after it was repealed in the U.S. for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure the repeal of Prohibition had anything to do with learning any lessons. Governments have been happy to continue prohibiting things that don't bring in revenue.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Quick prohibition didn't work. Anti tobacco has been spreading tobacco for decades now and it's working. Within a generation there won't be anyone left to buy tobacco.
The U.S. "War on Drugs" started in 1971. How many generations have passed in the mean time? Has the government been able to stamp out drug usage? Seems like legalization is moving in the opposite direction in the vast majority of districts because prohibition doesn't stop people from using substances, tobacco included. There are certainly fewer cigarette smokers in rich countries now than 25 years ago, but do you really believe in one generation tobacco won't still be in use? It's a global vice and based on the membership here, it seems like pipe smoking is enjoying a renaissance of sorts. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not as pessimistic as you.

For the record, I don't buy tobacco as an investment. I buy it to smoke it. :sher:

Reactions: aspiring_sage

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I'm not sure the repeal of Prohibition had anything to do with learning any lessons.
In 1932, wealthy industrialist John D. Rockefeller, Jr. stated in a letter:

When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognized. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Quick prohibition didn't work. Anti tobacco has been spreading tobacco for decades now and it's working. Within a generation there won't be anyone left to buy tobacco.
funny thing is prohibition doesn't work. Education does but with all things addictive there are always going to be a certain percent of people that just do certain things and get hooked. Fun fact tobacco is currently at about that level. But you know despite these being really easily demonstrate facts people continue costly fruitless attempts at controlling human nature, which is about as effect as legislating the wind or the rain.
But I think it says a lot that the legal regulated things that have had the biggest campaigns of this is why it's healthier not too, have produced the biggest results.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
In 1932, wealthy industrialist John D. Rockefeller, Jr. stated in a letter:
Sure, we’re taught in school that the government repealed Prohibition because of all those bad things. But the simpler and way more likely reason is that the government was flat broke and legalizing alcohol would provide a badly-needed source of income. If they had truly learned the lesson that prohibiting vices didn’t work and caused extra crime, there are a lot of others they could have addressed! ;)

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Sure, we’re taught in school that the government repealed Prohibition because of all those bad things. But the simpler and way more likely reason is that the government was flat broke and legalizing alcohol would provide a badly-needed source of income. If they had truly learned the lesson that prohibiting vices didn’t work and caused extra crime, there are a lot of others they could have addressed! ;)
Why does there need to be only one reason for things?

Seems like a lot of history is a story of lessons learned, lessons forgotten...or expediently ignored.

Anyway...

This thread seems to be heading off topic, so let me just say...

The government is coming for yer baccy! Man yer stockpiles!