PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
How do you pack it into 4oz wide mouth Masson jars?

When you get it in bulk, the flakes are far too long to use and what I read is that most cut them in half. Do you simply cut these in half, fold them, and stuff them as you can into the jar until you have filled the jar to capacity without damaging the flake too much? Photos? Point me to info, please?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thus far, I've only dealt with the amount of flake that comes in a 1.75 or 2oz tin. Cutting the flakes in half gives me strips that are 2" or a little less in length, so I can just stack them inside a 4oz jelly jar. No folding or stuffing necessary in that case, although I will throw leftover bits into the spaces along the side of the stack.

When I start dealing with larger amounts of flake, I plan to keep them in longer strips and just stand them up in a regular 8oz jar.

Reactions: yanoJL
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
As stated above - I cut em in half and carefully created a nice layer. Whatever left gets stuffed on top. I used to try to preserve the integrity of the flake, now I just try to fit it in the jar.
Really, Mylar would be the best option. I've yet to make the move but keep planning on it.
This would be my answer too. If a flake breaks, the tobacco still smokes and I've been tearing flakes apart like string cheese recently.

I am also interested in moving to Mylar. However, I think that will be a 2024 problem.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I stack flakes whole lengthwise in the 8 oz jars. If I were using 4oz, cut in half and stack them up like pancakes. I use the 8oz jars because I don't have the time for that shit.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cut in half and then in most cases, I'll bend them and load on their sides. Might not get as much in the jar as folding them but they remain more intact that way. I'll stuff a few in the gaps however they fit, I'm not overly anal if there some breakage.

Reactions: dunnyboy and Elric
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
This would be my answer too. If a flake breaks, the tobacco still smokes and I've been tearing flakes apart like string cheese recently.

I am also interested in moving to Mylar. However, I think that will be a 2024 problem.
Agreed. I'm in no rush, Mylar isn't going anywhere. Just gotta find the motivation. I know it'll be fun. I've done similar storage changes with other collectibles like records, art, etc.
Just turn on music, pack a bowl and dig in. Until then, jars are cheap and insure longevity.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Agreed. I'm in no rush, Mylar isn't going anywhere. Just gotta find the motivation. I know it'll be fun. I've done similar storage changes with other collectibles like records, art, etc.
Just turn on music, pack a bowl and dig in. Until then, jars are cheap and insure longevity.
That's what I do! I locked myself in the office for a couple hours and just went to town moving everything from jars to mylar. But I used to love canning day too, take my newly acquired pounds of tobacco and jars to the garage, and smoke and jar all night!

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I'm just thinking about all of the air remaining in the jar when packing flake ... even using a vacuum pack, it is not absolute ... here, Mylar under vacuum and sealed seems to make far more sense ... but I've other investments to make first.

Reactions: dunnyboy
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Ww
That's what I do! I locked myself in the office for a couple hours and just went to town moving everything from jars to mylar. But I used to love canning day too, take my newly acquired pounds of tobacco and jars to the garage, and smoke and jar all night!
Were farmers and homesteaders so canning day is commonplace around here. I love it, especially with some proper music to lift spirits.
That's awesome man.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Common consensus seems to say that once the tin is opened, air is good and unavoidable. It's a change but not a detrimental one.

vs a true new vacuum which has no air and just stops time. I guess that could be ok as well.