PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Yes.
I have a decent stock of H&H, SWRA and EGR
I also keep a couple of pounds of Lane 1-Q on hand, which could rightly be considered a codger blend at this point.

I am collecting pouches of other codgers that I haven't tried as well as a few I did smoke back in the day, just to reassess them now. They are inexpensive if one waits for the sales at the various on-line sellers.

I think of these as being stocked more so than cellared as I have no expectation of ageing them, just ensuring that I have a supply always on hand.

Aug 1, 2012
I often find that when I cellar codgers, if they're alive they just tear up my cellar. Dead, however they tend to smell after a week or so. Otherwise the blends can get a bit crispy if the pouches aren't well taken care of. Yay mylar.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I like knowing that if I buy enough, I can still be smoking the same Carter Hall in 30 or 40 years when I am the codger.
I still haven't tried Carter Hall. Well I tried it when I was 16 and hated all of the codger blends then that I tried. I almost liked some of them but they all had a gross quality I couldn't get over. I now know it's PG and that they can get off for me if I don't make sure my technique is great.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I still haven't tried Carter Hall. Well I tried it when I was 16 and hated all of the codger blends then that I tried. I almost liked some of them but they all had a gross quality I couldn't get over. I now know it's PG and that they can get off for me if I don't make sure my technique is great.
I've read a lot of similar comments about it. I don't notice what others often describe as a "chemical note", but my experience with higher shelf tobaccos is pretty limited and I'm trying new ones here and there at a snail's pace.
It's almost the same as Prince Albert, if that's a good point of reference for you - just a bit lighter in flavor to my palate.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've read a lot of similar comments about it. I don't notice what others often describe as a "chemical note", but my experience with higher shelf tobaccos is pretty limited and I'm trying new ones here and there at a snail's pace.
It's almost the same as Prince Albert, if that's a good point of reference for you - just a bit lighter in flavor to my palate.
PG has this off taste to me. But it's funny if it's the middle range or low I don't see any difference otherwise then it takes longer to dry the tobacco. If it's Captain Black levels that ruins it for me. My impression of Prince Albert was not really good or bad and not really all that interesting. Though so far my favorite codger blend is Sail Yellow. And I don't consider mixture 79 or EGR codger blends. And some people say five brothers is but to me that one is just it's own thing and it doesn't need any friends. (still one of my all time favorites). On the smoking pipes tobacco break down it shows I try a few things and smoke C&D, MacBarren, Five Brothers, and EGR all at about the same precentage. The C&D and MacBarren are both much higher then the others but about the same when you consider it by individual blends.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
PG has this off taste to me. But it's funny if it's the middle range or low I don't see any difference otherwise then it takes longer to dry the tobacco. If it's Captain Black levels that ruins it for me. My impression of Prince Albert was not really good or bad and not really all that interesting. Though so far my favorite codger blend is Sail Yellow. And I don't consider mixture 79 or EGR codger blends. And some people say five brothers is but to me that one is just it's own thing and it doesn't need any friends. (still one of my all time favorites). On the smoking pipes tobacco break down it shows I try a few things and smoke C&D, MacBarren, Five Brothers, and EGR all at about the same precentage. The C&D and MacBarren are both much higher then the others but about the same when you consider it by individual blends.
This> and thats the reason I'm an advocate of standard imported EU OTC Blends by Mc Barens, the quality of the leaf they use is much higher, apart from Borkum Riff)also European style OTC's seem to have less topping but so are the prices somewhat higher, as for the Sail Yellow its a descent Dutch style tobacco indeed

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've only been at pipes for about five years now, but the tubs I've opened that I bought when I started have been as fresh as can be.
That means everything's working as intended. Codger blends are designed for a long stable shelf life with few changes to flavor.

The cellaring effect most people are talking about is fermentation and the aging characteristics that happen in VA blends when they're in a sealed tin for a long time. That won't happen with traditional codger blends which are largely burley. I suppose if you keep any blend long enough it's probably going to change even if it's mostly burley and has PG all over it, but codger blends are more change resistant than most.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
That means everything's working as intended. Codger blends are designed for a long stable shelf life with few changes to flavor.

The cellaring effect most people are talking about is fermentation and the aging characteristics that happen in VA blends when they're in a sealed tin for a long time. That won't happen with traditional codger blends which are largely burley. I suppose if you keep any blend long enough it's probably going to change even if it's mostly burley and has PG all over it, but codger blends are more change resistant than most.
Yep, I like the fact that these burley blends don't really change all that much even after years of sitting sealed (and that the Middleton tubs seem to be perfectly adequate for long term storage). Not a big fan of tart fermented flavors.

Reactions: logs

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Yeah, I've noticed Captain Black has that sort of greasy feeling that it leaves on your fingers from all the PG on it. I just don't notice it with CH or PA - I'm sure it's there, but it must be applied much more sparingly. The Middleton blends never feel wet, goopy, or greasy or leave residue in my pipes.
The thing I hate the most about aromatics that are absolutely soaked in PG and sugar is that they're hard to light and the burn is crap. You try to dry them and they either won't dry, or the leaf gets stiff as the sugar dries, and then they're hard to pack. Just off-putting all around.