PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Meh, crack them both to try, then just throw 'em in a jar.
This^
I am sorry to be the one but I notice very very very (very) little difference in between a tin with 2-3 years and one with 15. Not worth it IMO. 2 years something seems to happen for my blends and then drops off. I won’t be holding out for decades anymore. A waste of time that could have been spent smoking my favorite blends.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
This^
I am sorry to be the one but I notice very very very (very) little difference in between a tin with 2-3 years and one with 15. Not worth it IMO. 2 years something seems to happen for my blends and then drops off. I won’t be holding out for decades anymore. A waste of time that could have been spent smoking my favorite blends.
I was just reading that somewhere. Ribbon tends to age the most in the first year, while flakes can continue to age for longer. But I’m also not sure if once you open any aged Tun, do you really need to smoke it pretty soon or does jarring tobacco from an aged tin still preserve some of the flavor?

I think Greg Pease basically said that once you open up a tin , it’s best to then smoke it soon after. What do others think?

Reactions: BROBS and Ahi Ka

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Smoke the shit out of it. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. I don't have a whole lot of any certain blend but I have some of a whole lot of blends. No more than 2 pounds of any given blend that I really like.

Reactions: BROBS and hairvise

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Can’t go wrong with either one. If it were me I’d smoke the Scottish first.

Whether to wait on the Virginia depends on whether you already have something similar open. With the age on it already it won’t change dramatically between now and springtime.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Smoke'em if you got 'em! I'd probably age the Virginia a little but just go for it if you want to smoke one. There's plenty more to try.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
OK all, just cracked open the 4 year old Scottish Blend. Seemed just a touch wet out of the tin so let it dry down just a touch.

I'm enjoying the light aromatic flavoring of it as I carefully sip at it in a meerschaum. I looked it up on tobacco reviews, and I stumbled across this:

"Mixture is one of the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world, and is the leading brand tax free". What does that mean? They certainly taxed the hell out of it at the tobacco shop here in SF.

Anyone know what that's about?

Reactions: BROBS

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
"Mixture is one of the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world, and is the leading brand tax free". What does that mean? They certainly taxed the hell out of it at the tobacco shop here in SF.

Anyone know what that's about?
I would assume that means either duty free in airports.

I used to enjoy Scottish mixture in a cob while chainsawing

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am not fond of Virginia Number 1, so I have no idea how it ages.
Mixture, however, with some age on it, is wonderful.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Virginia No.1 has been a long time favorite to me. It's delicious right off the shelf and I would not wait to smoke it since I have no complaint about smoking it fresh.

BTW, Ca. Tobacco Center is a great little place that will attempt to order what you want if they don't have it. They are one of very few San Francisco tobacco shops that managed to survive the assault on tobacco stores in San Francisco. Until recently I lived a block away from there on California and Van Ness for 15 years and had quite a few bowls and cigars sitting in that corner watching the tourists walk by.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Smoke em' I dont understand the cellaring for the sake of saying you have it. I buy in bulk and celler so I dont have to order as often and I live in a communist state but I smoke them all

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Virginia No.1 has been a long time favorite to me. It's delicious right off the shelf and I would not wait to smoke it since I have no complaint about smoking it fresh.

BTW, Ca. Tobacco Center is a great little place that will attempt to order what you want if they don't have it. They are one of very few San Francisco tobacco shops that managed to survive the assault on tobacco stores in San Francisco. Until recently I lived a block away from there on California and Van Ness for 15 years and had quite a few bowls and cigars sitting in that corner watching the tourists walk by.
That's super interesting to find out! Are there any advantages to ordering through them, i.e. can they get tobacco that I wouldn't readily find online? I don't mind paying a few extra dollars to support a B and M, but I'm not always up for paying double or triple.

Reactions: kcghost

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Smoke em' I dont understand the cellaring for the sake of saying you have it. I buy in bulk and celler so I dont have to order as often and I live in a communist state but I smoke them all
Good point! I'm not choosing one or the other so that I can cellar one--I've got a lot of open tobacco tins and samples right now, so there's only so much I can smoke within a given, say, 2 week span.

Status
Not open for further replies.