PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Hi all,

I stopped by a tobacco shop here in San Francisco, saw these two tins, and decided on a whim to buy them (I've never tried either):
macbaren tins.jpg

The Virginia is from April 2016 and the Scottish Mixture is from October 2018. I'm thinking of cracking one open soon--which would you open now and which would you cellar? And why?

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Two tobaccos with long histories that I personally love. I have only smoked either in a relatively un-aged state but know from these forums and various reviews that time will do great things for them.

My vote? I say smoke that stuff with extreme prejudice now and then stock up on some bulk for aging. Both blends are almost always available just about anywhere, often in bulk. Enjoy!

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I'd crack the Mixture and cellar the Virginia since Virginias benefit most from aging, and this probably has the greater proportion of Virginia.
Pretty sure I'll be doing just that thanks to all of you! Interesting thing--the prices on the tins in the shop were all over the place--the newer tins were definitely priced higher than the aged ones! Still a bit pricy because of CA taxes compared to online, of course.
They were surprised to hear that older tobacco was actually more desirable (maybe I should have kept my mouth shut)!

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Careful, if we all agree you should crack both tins, you have to. That’s the risk of asking.

Wait, you’re thinking about opening one tin now, and the other in Spring... what are you going to smoke in between? I mean, one tin lasts me, like... two days.
Oh to be able to smoke in a tin in two days, joys. Heck, I'd love to be able to finish one in a week ?

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Careful, if we all agree you should crack both tins, you have to. That’s the risk of asking.

Wait, you’re thinking about opening one tin now, and the other in Spring... what are you going to smoke in between? I mean, one tin lasts me, like... two days.
No, I’ve got plenty of open tins and samples to try right now, so there’s no “need” to open either. However, who lets need ever get in the way of a good time?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
California Tobacco shop on Polk. Limited pipe tobacco so I’m not sure that I’d recommend a separate trip to visit, but if you are close by...

Thanks. Think I'll pass. My little area has three pipe shops, the best one in Carmel, a ten minute drive.

Polk & California- wonder if it's new.

Reactions: BROBS

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Thanks. Think I'll pass. My little area has three pipe shops, the best one in Carmel, a ten minute drive.

Polk & California- wonder if it's new.
It's been around for a long time--probably better for cigar smokers than for pipe smokers, though I don't know if their quality is the best. More of an all around tobacco store.

Status
Not open for further replies.