PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I get extremely depressed when I look at my tobacco cellar which is actually scattered about the house.

It's been over a year since I last enjoyed a bowl and I'm now encumbered with a few thousand pounds (that's pounds sterling!) worth of assets that I rather wish I hadn't bought.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ?

Regards,

Jay.?
Why don’t you sell some to your countrymen so they can enjoy it and you can feel better. I’m sure you must be considering it.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
As a guy who probably averages 2 bowls a week my 30-40 pound cellar feels nothing but glorious. It holds enough variety to keep me entertained for decades and enough stock of my favorites to provide a lifetime of comfort. No regrets whatsoever.

Anybody remember this picture? I don't remember which member here posted it but it left a strong enough "wow" impression for me to keep it saved in a file on my computer for a few years now. If I remember correctly this is not the guy's cellar but his working rotation of open jars.
wall storage.jpg

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
As a guy who probably averages 2 bowls a week my 30-40 pound cellar feels nothing but glorious. It holds enough variety to keep me entertained for decades and enough stock of my favorites to provide a lifetime of comfort. No regrets whatsoever.

Anybody remember this picture? I don't remember which member here posted it but it left a strong enough "wow" impression for me to keep it saved in a file on my computer for a few years now. If I remember correctly this is not the guy's cellar but his working rotation of open jars.
View attachment 34443
I wish that was my cellar.

Aug 1, 2012
It's addictive behavior. I can't get away from that. All the reasons people post to make it seem harmless or even noble and heroic feel like a cover story for compulsive buying. Yes we all like the fun side of collecting but it's not all rainbows and unicorns.
I hate to admit it but you're right. I had a bit of a pipe buying addiction for a few years. Now I only buy a few and they are targeted to a few criteria.

The same almost started with tobacco but I didn't have the funds to make it happen. Instead, when blends/brands started disappearing I targeted my 3 favorite blends as well as a few prospecting blends that I would still enjoy if I got stuck with them. I now have enough to last me for the foreseeable future at my current consumption and about 10 years at my previous level.

Chasing pipes and blends does indeed have an addictive quality.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Do you ever get this empty feeling going through your cellar, inspecting the piles of tins or jars, reminiscing about the hundreds or thousands of dollars spent, thinking: "Is this my life? Was this really worth it? What is it all for anyway?"

No. Our two sons are both pipe smokers. When I finally go up in a puff of smoke, they will divide what I have left - both pipes and pipe tobacco - as well as given my five grandsons at least one each of my pipes. I'm hoping to live long enough to smoke with them all.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
After reading these posts I realize I may be in need of help.....yesterday I ordered another fireproof safe since my current one that houses my cellar is full and the overflow is scattered around in boxes etc and the thought of a fire decimating my cellar, that has been built up over many years, is too much to comprehend! Delivery scheduled for mid next week, will post up new safe picture :)

Ratner IMG_0263 (2).JPG

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
It’s funny how many of these conversations are popping up during Covid days “what have I been spending my time and money on and faced with an apocalyptic situation, was it worth it?”

Which is further interesting because of our constant use of the term tobaccopocylpse. I’m happy with my cellar but I could certainly do with out it and all of my pipes for that matter. Not saying I’m gonna give it all up just reflecting on what’s important to me.

My library on the other hand, that is something I gaze upon with much too much pride for sure. Lol

Please do kick me out for blasphemy or for not being a tire kicker. I like this place and you all :)

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It’s funny how many of these conversations are popping up during Covid days “what have I been spending my time and money on and faced with an apocalyptic situation, was it worth it?”

Which is further interesting because of our constant use of the term tobaccopocylpse. I’m happy with my cellar but I could certainly do with out it and all of my pipes for that matter. Not saying I’m gonna give it all up just reflecting on what’s important to me.

My library on the other hand, that is something I gaze upon with much too much pride for sure. Lol

Please do kick me out for blasphemy or for not being a tire kicker. I like this place and you all :)

These times have everyone, no matter how you feel about it all, thinking about whats important to us. To me personally, tobacco is important, among many other things. So I've bought a little more than usual.. and I'm not at all depressed about it.

I learned long ago not to do things that make feel bad.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Barely a blip on the radar here. Got a week off from work, never received a stimulus check, and it's life as usual. Going to die one day and you can't take it with you.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I look at my stash I think I am a lucky guy and can smoke nothing but aged tobacco for the rest of my days. I planned well and went real deep on all my favorites and never have to worry about discontinued blends. Who knows who will last longer, my stash or me? If it is the stash the kids will make some money and hopefully go on a trip together somewhere.
America is in a real bad place right now and hopefully we find a way out. I will smoke and watch and hopefully my kids will will stay safe.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
My cellar is quite small (maybe 40 tins). My only regret with those is a number of them are tobaccos I no longer have any interest in smoking, and I have very little depth in the blends I know I want to keep around long-term. I need to finalize a small number of blends with which to cellar in greater number. A few are obvious to me, but I still try maybe too many new ones, looking for that one more perfect blend for me. As a result, I have an insufficient cellar, and usually far too many in current rotation.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
My tobacco and pipe collection is modest, but I still spend some thousands of Euros over the last 2 or 3 years. When I reflect on this it's mainly about two points: 1) spending so much money on a habit that is basically unhealthy (even if you consider it only moderately unhealthy), and 2) the older I get the more I feel the obligation to do good to other people with my money. I realize more and more how little I have "earned" what I have, and how deeply unfortunate so many others are. Anyone ever thought about how many lives they could have saved if they had funded malaria prevention measures instead of buying tobacco for themselves? No virtue signalling intended - I am a moderately selfish asshole most of the time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.