PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Do you ever get this empty feeling going through your cellar, inspecting the piles of tins or jars, reminiscing about the hundreds or thousands of dollars spent, thinking: "Is this my life? Was this really worth it? What is it all for anyway?"

And then 2 hours later you get a notification that Squadron Leader is back in stock and you order 50 tins because you don't have enough tobacco in your life anyway and definitely need to stock up your cellar some more before the dawn of the tobacco apocalypse?

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but I do get this empty feeling looking at my cellar or my pipe collection sometimes - call it a moment of weakness - where I just feel indifferent about it at all and need a short break from it. Usually lasts a day at most but I wonder if anyone felt the same occasionally.

Last edited:

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Yeah, I've had that feeling before too. It hasn't always been limited to tobacco though. I've had it with most of the material things I've pursued with zeal throughout my life. I'll sit there and calculate the number of days I spent in the office to purchase it and consider whether the exchange of my life has been worth it.

Mar 29, 2016
I'm done buying tobacco and actually looking at my cellar brings me peace on a job well done. While traveling abroad I might buy a tin or two but it's for personal consumption not for cellaring. My pipe collection of about 40 pipes of different grades is also complete. I really concentrate on enjoying pipe and cigar smoking and I never worry about what was and how much it cost money wise or other.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've bought around 450 pounds of tobacco in the past 2 1/2 years. The only feeling I have is satisfaction that, barring some horrendous catastrophe, I'll have something to smoke as long as I'm upright and breathing. Fortunately, no other of life's needs or family needs were compromised in doing that. My only regret is not having purchased another 100 lbs of McClelland in the first 3 months of 2018.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you ever get this empty feeling going through your cellar, inspecting the piles of tins or jars, reminiscing about the hundreds or thousands of dollars spent, thinking: "Is this my life? Was this really worth it? What is it all for anyway?"
Nope, mostly done and on to new things as I'm a smoker and not a hobbyist though I still sometimes buy for fun. I'm up over 350 pounds in my cellar but severely deficient in twisty puzzles.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Salty Dogs anyone? puffy
View attachment 34353
Curly Block?
View attachment 34351
How about Dark Plug?

View attachment 34352
I didn't even show you the 3 pounds of KBV or the 1.5 pounds of Happy Brown bogey that i also pulled out of this bin...
And this is just 1 out of 28 bins. rotf:sher:
Don't like Curly Block or Dark Plug, but bought 20 packs of Salty Dogs for $9 per packing in a group buy we did on here the year it was introduced. You may want to jar the SD as those packs are not air tight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to keep purchases modest, and buy only a few blends at a time, and I still buy way beyond my consumption, which is about a bowl or two a day. It is a sort of high, buying things, but I try to keep it in perspective and use it, rather than having it use me. Possessions can own us, if we aren't careful. Balance in life and thought is an undervalued virtue in today's thinking, but I try to subscribe.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It might happen from time to time, but when I stand back and look at myself within the bigger pictures and realize that we are part of a rich and noble tradition spanning several generations, it's difficult to feel like I'm a dead end in all this. It's easy to momentarily forget all of the friendships, past and present, moments shared, tobaccos smoked. I might just be one brick, but in its totality this is a breathtaking and hallowed edifice we all comprise. My old pipes weave a long story through the ages, of which I am a devoted participant and certainly not the final chapter.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
It might happen from time to time, but when I stand back and look at myself within the bigger pictures and realize that we are part of a rich and noble tradition spanning several generations, it's difficult to feel like I'm a dead end in all this. It's easy to momentarily forget all of the friendships, past and present, moments shared, tobaccos smoked. I might just be one brick, but in its totality this is a breathtaking and hallowed edifice we all comprise. My old pipes weave a long story through the ages, of which I am a devoted participant and certainly not the final chapter.
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.