New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deathmetal, they're not officially an aromatic, unless it is "topped" with a flavor of some sort. But, does one of those have qualities of an aromatic? Yes, to me Modern Virginia, LTF, and Dan's Liberty are cased Virginias that could easily be mistaken for aromatics, but they are not officially aros. Does that make sense?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
To reinforce the point,

Sherman states;

"Most manufactures spray aromatics on the tobacco after the blend has been manufactured..."

As a result one can infer that casing sauce is not what makes an aromatic but rather the "topping" applied at the end of the blending process.

All that said most people think an aromatic is tobacco that has been flavored which as we can see is not really correct.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
For some more info on Cavendish, see Arno's blog post here,
https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/candy-cavendish/

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
dmcmtk, that guy should be ashamed of himself. Most of the article was exact quotes from Sherman's book and not a single quotation mark. That takes BALLS.
And my balls are HUGE! Like in the AC/DC song Big Balls. But yes, you are right, most of it comes from Nate Sherman's excellent book. There, you got me. It is one of the main sources for my tobacco knowledge.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
It is Milton Sherman.. Nate Sherman.... So in other blogposts you will also find pieces coming from that book. And I am not ashamed of using them. I want my blogposts to be the best I can possibly get them with all the info I can find. If I had to quote everyone I better can make a standard sentence in every blogpost, something like: "All of this comes in one way or another from people like GL Pease, Russ Ouellette and Andreas Mund and books like All About Tobacco." I am just a humble non-commercial amateur blogger, not a professional writer who has to mention the source of everything he writes. Well at least that is how I think about it..

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Balls to the wall,Accept,Arno.
Whoops thought this was the metalhead thread.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I had to quote everyone I better can make a standard sentence in every blogpost, something like: "All of this comes in one way or another from people like GL Pease, Russ Ouellette and Andreas Mund and books like All About Tobacco." I am just a humble non-commercial amateur blogger, not a professional writer who has to mention the source of everything he writes. Well at least that is how I think about it..
That would be a good start. Plus, verbatim quotes should really be attributed. That's how I think about it!

Actually, copyright laws have just tightened up this last year. I was reading in the paper that a local teacher here was sued for five thousand for including a few sentences in a hand-out. Even in a research paper you can only directly quote someone for a very limited amount of sentences. You can paraphrase and then give credit. But, unless you just have piles of cash ready to burn or a greasy scumbag lawyer on retainer, I wouldn't even chance it. I would contact the author or his estate and ask for a letter stating that you have permission, and post that.
The problem comes when someone uses your blog as a reference giving you credit for these ideas and words. Because it looks like these are your ideas and your words. Then it would be very easy for it to get into the public domain that you originated all of this. Then the publisher will come at you with a vengeance.

But, YMMV

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Taking credit for someone's else's work is plagiarism, whether done by professional or armature. The added time and effort it takes to note the author is not, nor has it ever been sufficient justification for failing to do so. It's just shoddy journalism at best. If you want to be a writer, honor the rules of good journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.