PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
What is the difference between a Castello pipe and a Carlo Scotti Castello Pipe?

Thanks for any information.

Mike

Reactions: AroEnglish

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
The person who made it.
Scotti, Kino etc
Thanks. I realize Scotti founded Castello pipes in 1947. I did not understand the signature significance. To collectors, is any particular craftsman at Castello more preferable or considered a better maker?

Reactions: PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Thanks. I realize Scotti founded Castello pipes in 1947. I did not understand the signature significance. To collectors, is any particular craftsman at Castello more preferable or considered a better maker?
They are all excellent !
Scotti seems to be the flavor of the day however that’s just anyones opinion. Kino is flawless as well.
This post will stir up a storm so be prepared for that. Pull up pipedia
And check out Castello. There’s some sizing and grading info you should get to know as well.
Either maker is fine and will provide an excellent pipe to cherish.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
If you're asking the differences between when Carlo Scotti ran the firm, versus Franco Coppo ("Kino"), the biggest difference seems to be in the engineering: airways. Under Carlo's reign, the consensus is that the airways were much more restricted, whilst the production under Kino's command has opened up that draw quite considerably in comparison. I don't own a Scotti-ran Castello, so I have no first hand experience.

If you're asking about the currently produced pipes under Kino's vision that feature Scotti's signature, it seems that Scotti's signature is stamped on any "Collection" grade smooth finished pipe, or "better" ("Collection", "Occhio di Pernice", "Fiammata", and "Aristocratica" lines). These also feature Kino's signature stamp, as well.

Castello makes a very fine smoking pipe, although some do have their quirks; most notably in the stem, and more specifically the slot/button of the mouthpiece. There will be other variables over time, probably more related to the actual carvers in the workshop, that will define a Scotti or Kino Castello.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
One thing we might want to keep in mind is that elaborate "nomenclature" helps make anything more collectible, and that leads to more sales for the makers. Hey, it works for Dunhill! That said, you can't beat a Castello pipe!

By chance when I started reading this thread I was smoking (and still am) a Castello Sea Rock, bulldog with military bit. I've owned this pipe for 60 years and she still smokes like a dream! puffy

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
"...knock Castello as making unattractive pipes..."

I've seen various posts of that sort and was surprised as I've always thought that by and large they were very handsome pipes. I had a Collection (Collector? I forget the grade name) once that was quite beautiful and a wonderful smoker. Bought new perhaps twenty years ago, so Kino I assume? Alas, I bailed on it as I just could not get comfortable with the acrylic stem, which, of course, closes off the great majority of Italian pipes (not all, I know) to me. Just as well perhaps; last thing I need is a massive number of additional pipes to tempt me.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do NOT regret owning a Sea Rock. Such a handsome pipe and an even better smoker. There will be someone I am sure who will come along later and knock Castello as making unattractive pipes or gloat that the manufacturer was in trouble at one time, but you know what... the name still means something.
Only when asked why I dislike them, no gloating involved. Your post does prove my point about condemning comments that don't align with someone else's likes though. I'd never speak badly about someone liking or disliking something, only my own opinions regarding a product. You may want to read mine and Harris's comments starting here and stop referencing me out of context.

Post in thread 'What Is So Great About Castellos' What Is So Great About Castellos :: Italian Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/what-is-so-great-about-castellos.70513/post-36269927

Or here when the poster wanted an opinion about their shaping.

Post in thread 'Castello & IMP Meerschaum' Castello & IMP Meerschaum :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/castello-imp-meerschaum.87311/post-36514021

Last edited:

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Just so no one thinks I was just stirring the pot with this thread, I did just make the purchase shown below on a whim (the bids seemed low), and then asked questions later.

Attachments

• IMG_8215.png
    IMG_8215.png
    394 KB · Views: 33

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
In Italy, most enthusiasts consider only those with the Carlo Scotti brand to be true Castello ones. Le Kino (nickname of Franco Coppo, son-in-law of Carlo Scotti, who took over the reins of the company upon his death), are considered inferior.
In reality I believe that Castello still makes extraordinary pipes, it's just - perhaps - you have to be a little more careful when purchasing. I imagine that the qualified workers of the past are less easy to find today, and there could be some more manufacturing defects than in the past (obligatory conditional).
In any case, my favorite pipe of all the ones I own is a Castello branded Kino, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
The band mid shank interrupts the flow of the shape and the ring grain visible just beneath the surface shows a waste of a beautiful sandblast opportunity.

View attachment 256204
I agree about the band. Castello often has something (deliberately) awkward in its forms, at least for my tastes.
As for the choice not to sandblast it, you have to think like a company that has to do business (lol). In this regard, I remember that some time ago I saw a video on YouTube in which Ascorti made a pipe live; towards the end, when he realized that he should have rusticated it, I heard him swear 😁. More work for a lower price.

evanetui

Lurker
Sep 5, 2023
I agree about the band. Castello often has something (deliberately) awkward in its forms, at least for my tastes.
As for the choice not to sandblast it, you have to think like a company that has to do business (lol). In this regard, I remember that some time ago I saw a video on YouTube and also on the site in which Ascorti made a pipe live; towards the end, when he realized that he should have rusticated it, I heard him swear 😁. More work for a lower price.
I can see why a company might make this decision. Sandblasting can add to the cost of the tube, and Castello is a premium brand that wants to offer its customers a high quality product at an affordable price.However Some people prefer a glossier surface, while others prefer a more natural surface.