PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I love cooking on cast iron. Sadly my all mom's cast iron went missing when we moved in 1960, but I've slowly accumulated my own---
A Wagner flat skillet I purchased new a long time ago
A 10" Lodge Dutch Oven with legs
A 12" Lodge Dutch Oven with legs
A 5 Qt Lodge Dutch Oven
A Lodge 8" skillet
A Lodge 10-1/4" deep skillet with a lid

It's working collection of course and I admit much of it was purchased for camping and cooking over an open fire, but it finds a lot of use in the kitchen too.
I was wondering if anyone here loves cooking on cast iron, and what your favorite cast iron-centric recipes may be?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have an old Griswold that I enjoy cooking in—just basic stuff like eggs, bacon, chicken thighs, burgers. But, we mostly use Susan’s cookware these days, one of which is a carbon steel pan; it has the non-stick benefits of cast iron, without the weight—it’s pretty great.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Hovannes
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
We only cook on cast iron. Ditched everything else maybe 4-5 years ago after just getting tired of pans losing their qualities over time. We have an 8, 10, 10 square, 12, Dutch oven and a large “pizza” pan (I don’t use it for pizza but it’s great for things like homemade English muffins and biscuits). We also have an 8 wedge round if we want to make a triangle shaped corn bread or similar which can be fun.

Sure they are heavy, and you have to hand wash them, but they don’t really go bad. Even if you wear the seasoning off with acid cooking or something, you can just get it back to new pretty easy. The food off them is great too.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I figured it would be a long time before a more natural fit for a joke than a thread about cast iron pans being commented on by the The Iron Monkey, so went looking for a pic...

And it turns out that Mr. Monkey is a movie star.

Like, fo' real.

It's a good thing I didn't find a joke connection, too, because he'd probably come after me with spinning back kicks 'n' shit:

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 7.45.13 PM.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I figured it would be a long time before a more natural fit for a joke than a thread about cast iron pans being commented on by the The Iron Monkey, so went looking for a pic...

And it turns out that Mr. Monkey is a movie star.

Like, fo' real.

It's a good thing I didn't find a joke connection, too, because he'd probably come after me with spinning back kicks 'n' shit:

View attachment 181312

This provides an opportunity to share an original lobby card for Iron Monkey that I was fortunate enough to get signed by one the the stars of the film, Donnie Yen (when I met him several years back)—he’s the actor behind the “N” in “IRON” in the image you posted. He’s probably better known for his portrayal of Bruce Lee‘s teacher, Ip Man, and a character in one of the later Star Wars movies, Rogue One.

IMG_20221114_003820.jpg

• Love

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I've got a small cast iron skillet that I got from a charity shop. I use for cooking bacon, salmon and mince, things like that.
I think it looks medieval and in keeping with my style; it would be fun to use it over a fire 🔥 and would be good for cooking a salmon caught in the River Don:)

Reactions: Hovannes

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a couple of frying pans and a few pots in various sizes. I use them for most of my cooking. They work for everything and they look good on the table.
I'm not good with recipes, mostly I just wing it, but I think they're exceptionally good for slow cooking.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Cajuns use Magnalite, we are giving my daughter ours, I’ve got my Grandmothers cast iron skillet, my corn bread makers, won’t give that one away., a dutch oven with cover also.
Magnalite. Now there is some cookware as well. I have a quality set of stainless steel copper filled cookware but rarely use it.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I like cast iron, got a Lodge skillet which performed poorly until I took an angle grinder to it and made it smooth, a moronically expensive Staub braiser, and an IKEA senior Dutch oven. All have seen tons and tons of use, and turned out dishes people remember eating years later.
Nothing makes braising a big piece of meat as good as cast iron.
Key point for me for cast iron remains the fact they are pretty much indestructible.

Then again a chef friend of mine told me in professional kitchens it is all stainless steel or aluminium. Even the posh French restaurants with the copper pots and pans use these mostly to take photographs, on the job it's all stainless steel.